Opinion: is second edition a treacherous move?

By Carnemark, in General Discussion

I'm sorry, but if you are actually "offended" by a post from someone who's English is as tenuous as the OPs...then you should probably unplug and take a walk. It's a game. Just a game.

I'm sorry, but if you are actually "offended" by a post from someone who's English is as tenuous as the OPs...then you should probably unplug and take a walk. It's a game. Just a game.

By his own admission he was trying to shock people and get opinions, so I'm taking him at his word that he was being inflammatory.

And it's not about the aspects where you can say "it's just a game." It's not just a game. I know people at FFG, some of them I'm lucky enough to call friends. I have worked with some of them: I've been a playtester. I know for a fact how much they care about the work they do.

When somebody talks trash about my friends and about something I personally have put time and effort into, it's not "just a game."

Just a game.

966dbb89f86f612fcb58a4dde6385c38df88ba63

None-the-less, still a silly thing to allow yourself to be "offended" by.

People insulting me and my friends? Gosh, I'm glad I'm not your friend if you think that's "silly."

That response was even more silly than your previous.

The only thing that could become ridiculous is economy cards. In first edition the core contained a plethora of cards that helped with the overall economy in the game (ie. the "seas", the "chambers", etc). What would be harsh is to put out cards such as 'Crossroads' (1st edtion card) and include only 1 in a chapter pack. Cards like that should be x3 and should be able to be acquired through the deluxe expansions that are more than likely to be expected in the future.

That response was even more silly than your previous.

Was I persisting? Or was he?

There was no way I was going to join in on version 1.0 of this game except maybe to get a core set for casual play. As has been noted, too many cards, and game is past critical mass. With a version 2.0 it is at least something to consider. Not sure if I'm ready to go back down any card game rabbit hole but GOT will be an option with release of version 2.0.

I'm absolutely looking forward to this release. Two core sets pre-ordered. 3rd set will be purchased from FLGS.

I was pretty annoyed when I read about the announcement. I was a fairly new player, and the announcement actually came when I had ~$200 of chapter packs en route to me (the last of the back catalog). So yeah, being told the product I hadn't even got yet was being made obsolete was quite frustrating.

I've mellowed a bit since then - the rule simplifications do seem good, and if I never need to consult a flowchart to determine if I'm allowed to activate an effect again, I'll be a happy man. Plus, I imagine my group of friends will keep playing 1.0 for at least 12 months - 2.0 won't have a really deep card pool for at least that long.

To address ktom's point: the back catalog really was necessary. Like you point out, if you want to engage the seasons mechanic, you need to buy The Winds of Winter or A Song of Summer, both quite early in the game's run. Castellan of the Rock and Pyromancer's Cache were top contenders for the restricted slot in Lannister decks, and they are even older. How many Stark decks ran without Northern Cavalry Flank from the second cycle? I wouldn't think there are more than a handful of chapter packs that didn't have a great card for one house or another.

This is the same old story that pops up every time something new and improved takes something old and outdated's place.

I have seen it over and over, and the only thing that ever changes are the peoples faces and voices - the story stays the same.

When MtG replaced Unlimited with Revised, when they started to rotate editions out of 'Standard', when Everquest was replaced by Everquest II, when Games Workshop replaced Warhammer Fantasy Battle with Age of Sigmar (ok, that one is ok to rage about actually)... and many, many more.

It was a beast, 1st ed. There were never even a shadow of a chance that anyone in my gaming club was going to buy into that game. We bought a Core, tried it and liked it. Looked at what else was out there, saw the hundreds of packs and boxes, most out of print, turned around and never looked back. Instead we played Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings LCG, and Doomtown: Reloaded (all of them remade games btw.).

Now, we get a new chance to enjoy this game, with new and improved design, better rules, more streamlined gameplay, and everyone can get into it without spending a minor fortune, even those who are completionists (yeah, that would be me....).

This is not betrayal, this is good fanservice and an excellent business move.

Now, it would be great if the game would stop sipping cocktails on that boatride and get here already!

I personally don't see it that way. I think the underlying message for Second Edition was, "This is a great game and a great community, but it's getting too unwieldy as the card pool grows. It's ills cannot be fixed logically with rotation - like we are building in to all the other LCGs - so we're going to take the opportunity to redesign the game and make it better. And we want your help and input to do it." (Apparently, the playtest efforts for AGoT 2.0 were the biggest alpha and beta for an LCG FFG has ever undertaken.) I think FFG learned from their earlier mistakes and the transition to 2.0 truly was about making the game better for all, not just about making it more palatable to their core-market of casual board game players.

Also this is the first (or second game aka Conquest) that will be planned for the rotation from the very beginning, so It may be one of those FFG lcg games that handles the rotation well.

Good move all in all!

I can't handle the misnomer of the word "treacherous."

Edited by The Old Man