Some Quick Heroes (Enduring Evil)

By Antistone, in Descent Home Brews

I was suddenly inspired to brainstorm some heroes. I haven't analyzed them terribly thoroughly, and I certainly haven't playtested them, but I figured I'd post them anyway for general interest. You may mock them at your leisure.

I've intentionally broken with certain conventions (like having conquest value determined by attack type, or always having 3 total trait dice). They're aimed more at Enduring Evil than vanilla, though in most cases it probably makes very little difference.

Finally, I didn't bother making up actual character cards, because I'm outside the parameters supported by Iam's editor, and I have no portraits anyway. So I'll just list stats.

Ketran Doombait
Stats: 8 health, 1 armor, 4 speed, 5 fatigue
Conquest: 2
Traits: 3 melee
Skills: 3 combat
Whenever Ketran would suffer more than 4 wounds from a single attack, he suffers only 4 wounds instead.

Nobin Stonehand
Stats: 12 health, 0 armor, 4 speed, 4 fatigue
Traits: 3 melee, 1 ranged
Skills: 2 combat, 1 subterfuge
Nobin has +1 armor whenver at least one of his hand slots is empty.

Elena Redsteel
Stats: 12 health, 1 armor, 4 speed, 4 fatigue
Conquest: 3
Traits: 2 melee, 1 ranged
Skills: 1 combat, 2 subterfuge
Elena does not discard an Aim order when she moves, or when she uses it to make an aimed attack. (She still discards it when she suffers wounds or changes her equipped weapons.)

Westran
Stats: 12 health, 1 armor, 4 speed, 4 fatigue
Traits: 2 melee, 1 magic
Skills: 1 combat, 2 wizardry
Westran may equip one extra "Other" item.

Jourm
Stats: 20 health, 1 armor, 5 speed, 3 fatigue
Conquest: 4
Traits: 2 melee
Skills: 3 combat
When Jourm places a Dodge order, he receives movement points equal to half his speed (rounded up).

Ytriana Zephyrtide
Stats:
12 health, 0 armor, 5 speed, 3 fatigue
Traits: 3 ranged
Skills: 2 subterfuge, 1 wizardry
Ytriana gains movement points equal to half her speed (rounded down) when she declares a Battle action.

Tava the Talented
Stats:
8 health, 1 armor, 4 speed, 4 fatigue
Traits: 1 ranged
Skills: 1 combat, 2 subterfuge, 1 wizardry
Tava can purchase new skills from the shop for 500 coins each.

Irena Starsight
Stats:
12 health, 1 armor, 3 speed, 4 fatigue
Traits: 4 ranged
Skills: 3 subterfuge
After making an attack roll, Irena may convert any amount of damage to range on a one-for-one basis.

Wicked Kaaven
Stats: 16 health, 2 armor, 3 speed, 4 fatigue
Traits: 3 ranged
Skills: 3 subterfuge
When Kaaven spends fatigue to add power dice to an attack roll, the attack gains +1 range for each fatigue spent.

Petra Speedbow
Stats: 16 health, 2 armor, 4 speed, 3 fatigue
Traits: 1 melee, 2 ranged
Skills: 1 combat, 2 subterfuge
Before making an attack, Petra may change the equipment in her hand slots at no cost.

Girian Ashbringer
Stats: 12 health, 0 armor, 4 speed, 5 fatigue
Traits: 1 magic
Girian has Burn 2 and is immune to Burn and to lava obstacles. When an enemy figure enters a space adjacent to Girian, place 1 Burn token on it (unless immune to Burn ).

Vertum the Fated
Stats: 12 health, 1 armor, 4 speed, 3 fatigue
Traits: 3 magic
Skills: 3 wizardry
Whenever Vertum rolls an X on an attack, you may place one Stun token on a figure that would have been hit if all X results were blanks (unless immune to Stun ).

Eranus Etherblood
Stats: 16 health, 1 armor, 3 speed, 4 fatigue
Skills: 3 wizardry
At the start of Eranus' turn, he may convert any amount of his health into fatigue on a one-for-one basis (not exceeding his maximum fatigue).

Streyana the Steadfast
Stats: 12 health, 3 armor, 3 speed, 4 fatigue
Streyana ignores one rank of Entrap and Knockback , as if she occupied one more space than she does. Streyana may not use any equipment that prevents her from equipping Runes .

Felbryn Faithshield
Stats: 16 health, 1 armor, 4 speed, 3 fatigue
Traits: 1 melee, 2 magic
Skills: 2 combat, 1 wizardry
Felbryn has Fear 1 . He may spend 1 fatigue before any attack is rolled to gain an extra rank of Fear against that attack.

Esin the Ephemeral
Stats: 8 health, 0 armor, 5 speed, 6 fatigue
Traits: 1 melee, 1 ranged, 1 magic
Skills: 1 subterfuge, 2 wizardry
Whenever a monster enters a space adjacent to Esin, she may move to an adjacent space as an interrupt by paying fatigue equal to the movement cost of that movement.

Mavin Manyface
Stats: 12 health, 1 armor, 5 speed, 5 fatigue
Traits: 3 melee, 3 ranged, 3 magic
Skills: 1 combat, 1 subterfuge, 1 wizardry
Whenever Mavin dies, she discards a skill and draws a new skill of the same type. She must discard a combat skill if killed by a melee attack, a subterfuge skill if killed by a ranged attack, and a wizardry skill if killed by a magic attack. If she is not killed by an attack, she chooses which type of skill to discard.

Hogran Wintersong
Stats:
12 health, 2 armor, 4 speed, 3 fatigue
Traits: 3 melee, 3 magic
Skills: 1 combat, 1 wizardry
Hogran has Entrap 1 and Freeze 1 , and is immune to Freeze and to ice obstacles.

I like the fact that most of these heroes can be used in non-EE descent too (just 2 that I can see that use EE specific rules).

Some wording issues here and there ("interrupt" could be replaced with "immediately" for example) but lets not go there happy.gif

I especially like Mavin Manyface . except maybe a bit powerful on the trait side...consider dropping each trait to 2...which would still be powerful but not entirely over the top. My favourite of the whole lot. (Or drop to 1 in each trait and then the hero can buy some skill rings happy.gif )

Irena Starsight seems to have too many traits on ranged but not any drawback to counter this.

Hogran Wintersong just seems a bit over the top (ok, a lot)

Nobin Stonehand less so but under-priced at conquest 2. Should be at least 3 with stats like that.

All the heroes probably need a little tweaking, but nothing else really jumps out at me at the moment (or I just missed it gran_risa.gif )

Mavin Manyface: Keep in mind that her hero ability is mostly a disadvantage , because the overlord can use targeted attacks to force her to lose her best skills. I did think about dropping her fatigue to 4, though.

Irena Starsight: She's got poor traits and a weak hero ability. The extra trait die is really her only notable positive quality, and I figured she'd need it when attacking from long range (note low speed).

Hogran Wintersong: Notice he only starts with 2 skills.

Nobin Stonehand: Well, every other hero in the game with 12 health 0 armor is worth 2 conquest, except Shiver, who is essentially immune to beastmen (in vanilla). +1 armor is better than a shield, but I didn't think it was so much better to justify a conquest increase, particularly on a hero that's usually going to need to close to melee range. He's also got below-average stats.

If you wanted to bump him up to 3 conquest, I think he should also have at least one stat raised (probably health or armor).

Antistone said:

Mavin Manyface: Keep in mind that her hero ability is mostly a disadvantage , because the overlord can use targeted attacks to force her to lose her best skills. I did think about dropping her fatigue to 4, though.

you bring up a good point, and with that powerful of traits having a disadvantage as a power was a good idea, I would the traits to 1, then make the power be the option of changing your power. Though thats probably not what your going for it would solve the overpower problem and give a useful ability. I would allow Mavin in my game either way.

Thought it might be interesting to calculate the BP cost of re-creating these heroes in my hero generator . Note that the hero generator's costs are calibrated for vanilla, not Enduring Evil (and not for an extended campaign, either, when it matters). The geneator is normally allowed to use up to 360 BP.

347 Ketran Doombait (abil: 5)
327 Nobin Stonehand (abil: 15)
329 Elena Redsteel (abil: 40)
294 Westran (abil: 5)
364 Jourm (abil: 25)

335 Ytriana Zephyrtide (abil: 30)*
318 Tava the Talented (abil: 40)
374 Irena Starsight (abil: 15)
362 Wicked Kaaven (abil: 10)
334 Petra Speedbow (abil: 15)

326 Girian Ashbringer (abil: 48)**
332 Vertum the Fated (abil: 30)
372 Eranus Etherblood (abil: 15)
325 Streyana the Steadfast (abil: 30)* (+)
329 Felbryn Faithshield (abil: 15) (-)

318 Esin the Ephemeral (abil: 20)
383 Mavin Manyface (abil: -40)*
358 Hogran Wintersong (abil: 70)*

* My hero generator doesn't support exactly this ability
** My hero generator supports all this ability's effects, but not normally all at once
(+) Ability also adds +1 armor, already represented in hero's stats
(-) Ability also subtracts 1 armor, already represented in hero's stats

If we take these as a reasonable approximation of the heroes' power, it looks like most of them are in a pretty reasonable range; none of them are as high or as low as the most extreme official heroes...though Westran is pretty close on the low end (his ability is better in Enduring Evil, though probably only 10-20 points better).

Mavin should probably have her fatigue reduced to 4, as I conjectured in an earlier post (bringing her BP total to 353), I'd say Westran could have another +1 fatigue and +1 speed (puts him at 354), and Tava should get +1 in all three traits (puts her at exactly 360 BP), or maybe another Fighting or Wizardry skill instead (putting her at 355).

Esin's also low; one could boost her traits, but I think I'd lean toward improving her ability instead; maybe let her use it at will, rather than only when a monster enters an adjacent square. That's a big buff, but she's currently 42 BP under the cap...

Several other heroes are also low enough to get a +1 somewhere without going over the cap.

Of course, I'm sure this method of evaluating heroes is also far from perfect.