"Duel Decks" Rogue Squadron vs. Black Squadron

By D.Knight Sevus, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

So speaking of "fun" vs. competitive decks, I think one of the best things about this game is that you can recreate some of your favorite moments just through the natural course of the game. And with most of the Rogue Squadron cycle released, I think you can finally create possibly the most iconic battle in the series, the Battle of Yavin. This is what I have.

Rogue Squadron

Affiliation: Rebel Alliance

2 Called to Arms

2 The Defense of Yavin 4

2 Mobilize the Squadrons

2 Rogue Squadron Assault

2 Running the Trench

You have to strech this one a little, imagining Rogue Squadron = Red Squadron (pretty much canon) and Grey Squadron = Gold Squadron (ehhh), but I find that a little less immersion breaking than having Hoth cards in my deck to try to include Wedge. Since Mobilize the Squadrons and Running the Trench both require the Rebel Alliance affiliation, and The Defense of Yavin 4 was too thematic to leave out, I decided to go all in on the Rebel Affiliation. Called to Arms and Rogue Squadron Assault round out the support for the Pilot keyword, and keep to the starship theme.

Achievement: Complete a Trench Run (or win the game by destroying Defending the Trench) by striking with Red Five enhanced with Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, and Advanced Proton Torpedoes. Remember that Luke Skywalker's Interrupt does not deal damage to the Death Star dial.

Black Squadron
Affiliation: Sith
2 Black Squadron Assault
2 Black Squadron Formation

2 Defending the Trench

2 Guarding the Wing

2 Kuat Reinforcements

This deck, however, was much easier to put together - Black Squadron is the TIE Squadron dedicated to protecting the first Death Star, and there's just enough there to build a deck. I did consider Defense Protocol over Kuat Reinforcements, since Defense Protocol actually does have the Death Star trait, but I ultimately sided with Kuat Reinforcements because Backstabber is a Black Squadron unit, and it provides a pleasant mirror to the Light Side's The Defense of Yavin 4. I also considered The Ultimate Power, but aside from forcing me to change the affiliation back to Imperial Navy (doable), it would also make the achievement much easier. (An alternate achievement where you win the game by destroying The Defense of Yavin 4 with Superlaser Blast.) Plus, ground units in a Vehicle based deck, ick.

Achievement: Destroy Red Five enhanced with Luke Skywalker by using the effect of I Have You Now, during an engagement where Vader's TIE Advanced enhanced with Darth Vader is participating.

Any thoughts on making the decks more thematic? I haven't gotten to play them yet, so I also have no idea if they're balanced against each other.

Edited by D.Knight Sevus