how best to round out the Core Set decks?

By goboking, in General Discussion

I picked up two Core Sets from GenCon. The idea is to build eight permanent decks (one for each faction) so that my friends and I can pick up and play quickly whenever the mood strikes us. We're content to play unsplashed-faction decks built using the cards from the Core Set. This means we're not customizing our pre-constructed decks and won't likely be buying upcoming Chapter Packs. But since the decks constructed from two Core Sets leave our decks 13 to 14 cards shy of the 60-card minimum required by the rules, I'll be picking up either another Core Set or the first Chapter Pack made available (depending on the card count and distrubution).

A third Core Set would give each of the eight decks a second (and probably much-needed) copy of the suggested neutrals given in the back of the rulebook. That's going to leave room for seven more cards for the Stark and Greyjoy decks and five more for the other six. So my question to you guys is this: how should I go about fleshing out these decks? I've ruled out adding 3rd copies of any unique characters, attachments, or locations, and I'm thinking three more characters and two more events would probably be the best route to take. I haven't settled on the specific cards yet, so I'm open to whatever suggestions you guys have for rounding out each deck.

If you plan on making the game more like a board game where everyone has a designated precon I think you could get away with 2 cores and just be shy a few cards.

Honestly I'm using the recommendations for each precon deck listed in the Learn to Play booklet, except instead of hybriding two Houses together each House will get 40 of their faction cards plus the neutral cards listed. With 3 Cores you would use the 20 faction cards for each House x3 then you could draft the neutrals between all players (with the exception of both the Roseroad and the Kingsroad -as each player should get at least one of each)

For the plots, just use what's recommened:

Both Stark and Greyjoy would receive the following plots:

-Summons 4,0,1,7

-Winds of Winter 3,4,2,5

-Supporting the Faith 6,2,1,4

-Naval Superiority 2,7,1,6

-Rebuilding 5,5,1,6

-Confiscation 4,5,1,6

-Calm Over Westeros 5,3,1,6

Night's Watch and Baratheon would receive:

-Wildfire Assault 4,7,1,6

-Building Orders 4,1,1,7

-Marched to the Wall 4,8,1,5

-Marching Orders 9,3,1,4

-Fortified Position 5,1,1,5

-Filthy Accusations 4,4,1,6

-Jousting Contest 4,3,1,6

Targ and Martell would receive:

-Summons 4,0,1,7

-A Feast for Crows 6,1,1,4

-A Noble Cause 5,0,1,6

-Power Behind the Throne 3,1,1,6

-A Storm of Swords 3,8,1,5

-A Clash of Kings 4,9,1,6

-Counting Coppers 2,3,1,10

Lannister and Tyrell would get:

-Wildfire Assault 4,7,1,6

-Taxation 5,6,1,6

-Calling the Banners 3,6,1,6

-A Game of Thrones 4,2,1,6

-Heads on Spikes 4,6,1,6

-Sneak Attack 5,11,2,5

-Reinforcements 1,0,1,6

Also with three cores, cards like the Roseroad and the Kingsroad will yield you 12 copies of each. So the 4 Factions that need the +1 Initiative could get an additional copy of Kingsroad while the 4 factions that are gold heavy/struggling with gold should get an additional copy of the Roseroad.

It's simple, and the balance might not be to everyone's liking but that is where I'll be starting. You could also draft the plots as well.

Edited by Grey J

Third core set.

Is there any particular reason you wouldn't run 3x of some specific Unique cards?

Edited by Grimwalker