Is This Game Still Successful?

By ilovelcgs, in Star Wars: The Card Game

I love the Star Wars LCG, I really want it to get the attention it deserves. I feel that this game may be pushed aside for some of the other LCG format games. What do you feel about the state of the game?

FFG CEO Chris Petersen answered this very question in the Q/A time after his inflight report at GenCon: the game is healthy and the company is happy of sales and proud of the coming deluxe expansion.

So, not much to add I think :)

Its doing fine but the discussion takes place on other sites and forums than here.

Its doing fine but the discussion takes place on other sites and forums than here.

Also, X-Wing and Android: Netrunner may have skewed some folk's perception of "success" for FFG's collectable lines. I'm sure this game doesn't sell like either of those, and it may not have as huge of an OP community, but it is obviously doing well enough that they continue supporting it.

The game is is a good place, and I think that those that play genuinely enjoy it. Finding new people to play seems to be the challenge. The temptation is to want to cannibalize from existing LCGs. I would rather grab from other games or find new players all together. The game is healthy by all accounts, I believe.

FFG CEO Chris Petersen answered this very question in the Q/A time after his inflight report at GenCon: the game is healthy and the company is happy of sales and proud of the coming deluxe expansion.

So, not much to add I think :)

But, to be fair, the CEO is a great personality and businessman. Do you really think that he'd stand there at GenCon and talk about all of the things that are wrong with the game, or what he feels were mistakes, etc.? Obviously he would never say anything that negative about it publicly. Using what he says as a guideline is useless.

That said, SWLCG is mechanically a really fun and awesome game. I don't think that the community is quite as lively as it once was, and nationals and regionals attendance are a piece of evidence for that view. That said, I don't think that the game is in a downward spiral, rather a little midlife lull of sorts. The game is really fun. The new movies and the new products by FFG will likely increase interest. The game isn't going anywhere.

Simply put, FFG needs a Star Wars LCG. LCG's are one of the main cornerstones of their business, and their Star Wars license needs to touch all the different corners of their product portfolio. They would not remove a Star Wars licensed LCG unless they were going to scrap the existing one and replace it with a new one. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Plus, they have limitless expansion potential with all of the new movies coming out.

Still dead in my country, but it seems to do OK overall in Europe.

Tonight I played with an X-Wing buddy. We've been playing X-Wing since December, and we both knew we both play the LCG, but we didn't actually try playing until today. It was a blast! I'm kinda hoping we switch between X-Wing and the LCG every week.

So after 3 years of looking for a local player base, I've finally found one! Moral of the story: don't give up!