Will "Millage"/Denial be a viable strategy with the Core Set?

By Grey J, in Deck Building

So with what is known with the now spoiled cards there appears to only be 3 cards total with the "Millage" ability.

GR: Euron the Crow's Eye

GR: Black Wind's Crew

NE: Wildling Horde

Is making a decent millage/card denial deck feasible at this point or is the card pool just too limited.

It's too limted. You'll likely never have more than 2-3 characters in play with Pillage at one point and not that many ways of doing more than one challenge with them so don't expect to discard more than 3-4 or maybe 5 cards in a turn when everything goes your way. That's nowhere near enough to make any sort of dent if the goal is to deck someone.

I'd agree it's currently too limited. It might be fun to try, but it's probably still too slow.

In 1.0, games that went beyond 6 rounds were rare. Assuming things haven't changed too much, you're looking at needing to mill 10+ cards per turn in order to win by depleting their deck.

As of now you can legally have 8 cards with pillage on the table at the same time if you include "the tickler". Assume 4 opponents cards hit the table during setup, that's 11 total pregame draw. If you assume 5 pillage effects per turn (hard on the first turn but accounts for standing I.E. "power behind the throne", "seal of the hand", for multiple challenges and the tickler) plus the 2 for card draw (with no additional card draw help from opponent) that's 7 cards a turn gone. You would mill someone on 7th turn. If someone comes into the game with card draw of their own, you could knock that down to 6 or 5th turn. I've been playing around with it just to see if can be done and it turns out that with greyjoy you tend you win (or loose) via power before that.

Yes, Tetsubo that is actually the direction I was going with the Tickler. Find away to utilize millage as much as possible. The other thought was also take advantage of means to win dominance and abuse Alannys's ability while finding ways to get out as many intrigue challenges as possible. This would not only get a power for dominance but also force additional cards out of hand on top of Intrigue and millage.

Probably too broad but idk, think it could certainly be something to fiddle with once the card pool expands.

Right now it's a viable strategy in v1 of the LCG (Greyjoy). It's nowhere near a 'good' deck, but I've managed to win games with it at one point so it's possible (in theory you can drain him as early as T2). Normally, this game will eventually reach a point where it will be viable. Just not right now. Denial is even worse. You have very little counter-effects so that's a no-go. Logically, every cardgame that debuts kinda tones that down so new players won't be turned off by this "boring" strategy.

Edited by Marginal0