One Fist hook attack questions.

By The Art Guy, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Does One Fist get 2 hook attacks when making a battle action?

Does One Fist get the hook attack when using guard?

Can One Fist change his target when making the hook attack?

Can One Fist add power dice to his hook attack using fatgue?

The Art Guy said:

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

One Fist gets a hook attack each turn, not for each normal attack. That means you get one if you Run and you still get one if you Battle. You don't get any when it's not your turn, regardless of orders, skills, feats, or anything else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "change his target." The hook attack is a separate attack that can be made at any time during your turn and has no relation to any other attacks you may or may not be making, but you can't change targets after rolling (like Tetherys' ability) or anything like that.

The hook is a melee attack, so it uses his melee trait dice, and you can spend fatigue for more dice just like with all attacks.

bmosher23 said:

The Art Guy said:

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

+1

Adding that surges will not help you when making the hook attack.

I'm under the impression that the Hook attack does receive any available Off-Hand Bonus. Is this correct?

XmenDynasty said:

I'm under the impression that the Hook attack does receive any available Off-Hand Bonus. Is this correct?

As written, you can only claim an off-hand bonus when you have two one-handed melee weapons equipped. One Fist has only one hand slot, and thus cannot ever fulfill that requirement.

However, most people seem to feel that Laughin Buldar (ToI) should be able to claim an off-hand bonus when wielding a two-handed melee weapon (in one hand, using his ability) and a one-handed melee weapon, even though that's not technically allowed. And if you're not following the dual-wielding rules precisely, then whether One Fist should receive an off-hand bonus on his hook attack is anyone's guess. An argument could certainly be made either way.

I like One Fist's ability, but I really wish he had some kind of surge bonus. Heck, I wish a standard "fist" attack had some kind of surge bonus...

-shnar

Antistone, maybe I should just learn to let these things go...but I'm not getting what you mean by the observation that "most people seem to feel that Laughin Buldar (TOI) should be able to claim an off-hand bonus when wielding a two-handed melee weapon......". Have you read the special ability on his hero sheet? Why wouldn't he be able to claim that bonus?

I think I begin to understand why the game's designers stopped responding to these posts if this one is coming under question.. Give me a break.

Technically, you are supposed to have two One-Handed weapons equipped to benefit from an Off-Hand Bonus. If you have equippied a One-Handed weapon and a Two-Handed weapon, you don't meet this requirement. It's a very literal interpretation, but in Descent, some of these are game breakers if they aren't taken literally. That's not the case here, and I have always allowed the Off-Hand Bonus where it seems thematically correct.

Edit- typo

Oh, I think I see what you mean. His ability says he may use use it "as if it were a one-handed weapon," which I guess could mean that it counts for purposes of the dual-wielding rules as well as for slot limits.

This was discussed in another thread a ways back, I guess I mis-remembered the result, or else everyone in that thread overlooked that detail.

Ok, fair enough...I didn't see that other thread that you're referencing or I would have certainly offered an opinion then. I do appreciate people's preference for having a well communicated set of rules available that can (for the most part) be taken literally. That would be ideal.

Sorry to be kind of testy with that original response, Antistone. Your posts are always of interest, thoughtful and well articulated and I appreciate your taking the time to write them as well as sharing the variant (Enduring Evil) that you created. I'll have to check that out.