Question about core set contents and deckbuilding

By kaladinhu, in General Discussion

Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum and to the game.

I've recently bought the core set of the 1st edition of the game (before I knew there was going to be a second edition) and was quite happy with it. I was able to play some 4-player games with my friends and it was a nice out-of-the-box experience. I was even considering buying a second core set and a few expansions and this was when I read about the second edition of the game. So I decided to wait a few months, get the second edition, try it with my friends and then maybe get some more cards and make some cool decks.

A few months have passed and I was now checking the news and spoilers on this second edition and came across the contents of the core set. We get 28 plot cards, 20 cards from each faction (5-7 of these are loyal) and 31 neutral cards. I believe each draw deck must contain a minimum of 60 cards.

Assuming I use all 20 cards from my main faction and 15 non-loyal cards of a different faction to build a deck, I would still need 25 neutral cards to get to a total of 60. That leaves me with 6 neutral cards left.

So, unless I'm missing something here, if I buy only one core set I'll only be able to build one deck (opposed to 4 in the first edition)?

The Learn to Play book gives you 4 out-of-the-box deck lists (all buildable at the same time from a single Core Set). They aren't tournament legal (not enough cards in the draw deck and they ignore the loyalty rule), but the out-of-the-box decks in 1st edition weren't, either (they only had 45 cards).

And even though it's possible to build one tournament legal deck from a single Core Set, the Kingslayer tournament at GenCon used different construction rules: you took all cards from 2 factions of your choice and added at least 10 neutral cards.