Bounty Hunter Nemesis Creation

By drbraininajar, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Even though (I hope) there will likely be a section in the Bounty Hunter splatbook whenever that comes out, I'm looking for a "create your own BH adversary" process similar to the one used to create Inquisitors in the Force & Destiny book.

Reason being, an infamous bounty hunter is basically the equivalent of an Inquisitor for an EotE group--scary, skilled antagonist who won't stop coming after them and that you might take a whole chapter of a campaign to defeat--and such an iconic adversary deserves as much advice on how to make them unique and memorable as they did with Inquisitors.

Is there currently anything like that? If not, I'll probably start whipping up my own haha.

I think the same process can be done, just the abilities and talents could be a bit different.

I do not know of this process. I am so curious.

I used the adversary Master BH nemesis from the adversary deck and reskinned her . Then I spent a little time re-equipping her, just giving her different models of the same weapons, mostly, so she had a little bit more character in the sheet.

I tend to use her sparingly - she enters without warning and exists almost as quickly. I have a nemesis that ended up in a scrap with the whole party and had to run to keep alive. My bounty hunter shows up when it suits her, she manipulates the variables to her favour so she can get the upper hand. Once she has her quarry, she leaves. She isn't interested in killing everybody and dancing, she wants to get her pay check with the fewest bullets used in the shortest amount of time. That's how you make a budget balance.

Edited by bubblepopmei

Myself and my players have no interest in running a jedi game, but I have half a mind to check out the F&D book to see what all the hype is about.

I've just recently created a pair of BH intended as long-term nemeses for my players, an uncharacteristically talkative Chiss and her psychotic astromech droid companion. I ball parked the point spread for core book nemeses without using a particular template. Since they're intended to stick around for a while, I treated them a little more like PCs in that I gave them specializations and plotted their route down the skill trees. I also fudged the rules by giving them essentially two sheets a piece: one tailored for starfights and one for ground battles, more or less doubling their point values in ways that will make them a challenge on different fronts but not overwhelm the characters too much on either of those fronts. I've considered the two turns per rule idea but haven't decided for sure. But I'd be very curious to see an in-depth template for nemesis creation.

Edited by dxanders

The guide to building an Inquisitor is actually a pretty good one. As I said, I'm really hoping to see a similar one for Bounty Hunter NPCs in the Bounty Hunter splatbook.

Essentially (for those who don't have the book) it gives you advice on what their characteristics and combat skills should be, as well as several noncombat "skill packages" with different themes (The Warlord, The Brute, The Investigator, etc), topping it off with a menu of talents and unique abilities.

Since Bounty Hunters are similarly unique bosses/minibosses, it would be a great service to GMs to have a "build guide" for such adversaries.

I worked this up last night. Most of it is copied directly from the Inquisitor section of Force and Destiny , but I made changes where they seemed appropriate. Let me know what you think. Also, if you run into typos or have suggestions for future changes, feel free to post them here.

PDFIcon.png - Tenacious Bounty Hunters (PDF File: 2.26MB)

Edited by Simon Retold

That's...really awesome actually. Applause to you, Simon!

I'm no expert proofreader but if it gets ironed out, we should probably put this in the fan resources thread.

I found one mistake I thought I had fixed... and repaired it! I'm sure there are plenty more, but this one was terribly obvious.

That's awesome. Thanks for the hard work, Simon.

This is the greatest and best guide in the world ... Tribute . ( ;) nod to Tenacious D)

But seriously, very cool!

Changed the text for the Tenacious talent from:

Tenacious (upgrade the number of advantages needed to score a critical hit against the target a number of times equal to his ranks in Tenacious)

... to:

Tenacious (upgrade the number of advantages needed to score a critical hit against the target a number of times equal to his ranks in Tenacious and may reduce a critical injury result he suffers by 10 per rank of Tenacious)

... in order to give the bounty hunter nemesis better protection against critical hits.

Edited by Simon Retold

To remind everyone, expect a single nemesis to die a pissants death when faced with a group of PCs.

Make sure to give them minions and rivals to split fire.

To remind everyone, expect a single nemesis to die a pissants death when faced with a group of PCs.

Make sure to give them minions and rivals to split fire.

Yeah, this is pretty much true no matter how badass your major BBEG might be.

All it takes is the right critical injury results and your monster bounty hunter/Inquisitor will collapse like a house of cards in a hurricane. Case in point, Boba Fett being taken out by a blind smuggler blindly waving around a big stick :D

Save the solo BBEG's for one-on-one or two-on-one battles between a specific enemy and one or two PCs.

That's why I decided to include that custom talent, Tenacious. It's designed to do two things:

1. Make it hard to score a critical hit against the bounty hunter.
  2. Make critical hits hurt less.

Won't stop them getting turned in to swiss cheese by a full group shooting them, unless they are some kind of mega soak (i'm talking double figures) monstrosity.

Won't stop them getting turned in to swiss cheese by a full group shooting them, unless they are some kind of mega soak (i'm talking double figures) monstrosity.

That's why you use squad rules and give your arch-nemesis plenty of minion groups.

In my opinion, the best nemeses are the ones that hit the party in the collective dump stat and act as a foil.

Though in a straight up combat encounter with a nemesis, the environment or important objectives should always complicate things. Sure you might outnumber your nemesis---if you weren't also having to use your turns to activate the shield generators/retrieve the Artifact of Macguffin/save a bus full of orphans! Anything to eat PC turns until the BBEG has enough time to pick them off or pull the "rocks fall" switch.

Along the same lines of thought as drbraininajar, a nemesis need to be tough enough to survive the first round! The additional action at the end of each round is the key. Always know when to cut and run, and always give the nemesis a way out, too: hostages, blast doors, trap doors, uncertain fates, etc. The Sarlaac should've killed Boba Fett, but wait, he get's out (doesn't matter if its canon as an example).

The best way to make a bounty hunter nemesis is to spilt the party, some bounty hunters will only strike after stalking the target for some time. Unlike most kinds of professional combatants they often don't have a particular deadline, probably for the best for lone wolves.

Another tactic for closing with a target is surprise, after all not all characters are obviously bounty hunters, a fact they only find when grappling with a shock gloved martial artist on a crowded train.

I like this design guide thing for types of nemeses ... inquisitors for FaD, bounty hunters for Eote (although you could probably add: crime lord, pirate and more) and for Aor? I was thinking similar rules for ISB agents, military commanders ... hm...

First of all; always spilt the party up. If everyone in the group is hanging together all the time then chances are it isn't really star wars; in both the original movies and the prequels the group was rarely together, spilt ups were frequent and a part of the dynamic plot (Luke got spilt off in an X-wing while the rest of the party got chased in the Falcon. Thus your bounty hunter should never really be engaging your party while it's together. They tend to look for the most opportune moments in which to snag one. At least the smart ones do; those that don't deserve to be swiss cheesed.

Wow, i will definately try to make use of Simon Retold's bounty hunter pdf, that has a lot of awesome ideas and quick character creation tips, good stuff dude! As being brand new to gm'ing myself, this helps newbies like me a lot!

Has anyone thrown together an Imperial nemesis maker? The bounty hunter one is adequate for a combat type, but something more tailored for the different varieties of Imperial would be nice.