Star Wars - Where to start?

By Marloc, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

Howdy all

I've played the various versions of the SW RPG all the back to WEG's d6, and no my kids are looking to get into SW (my son is a gigantic SW fan, and loves the old d6 stuff I have). So, I was at a game store today and found three different SW games all by FF. So, my questions are: where do you guys recommend starting, and are the three systems (that I saw, anyway) interchangable? I'd imagine that they are all running the same rules, just different "worlds" (to borrow the old D&D format), so they should all be the same.

Just pick up one of the beginner box sets and go?

Same system and cross compatible...each one focused on a different aspect of the star wars universe....smugglers and bounty hunters, soldiers in rebel alliance or force users (can tell which by box art and name). Overall I really like the system (dice cancelling similar to many ffg games, does a good job encouraging creativity). Really the choice comes down to what part of star wars seems most interesting to you guys...can always grow into the others as you play (start out a smuggler, get mixed up with the rebels and end up joining them, then find out you are force sensitive and become a Jedi).

Hope you guys have fun!

Edited by Trialus

Yes, they are all compatible and 3 core books is a brilliant approach. The trouble with prior editions of Star Wars is they were all one size fits all. The reality, as you know, is the Star Wars world presents opportunities for very different kinds of settings and stories. You'll want to start with the Core/Starter Set that focuses on the area of the Star Wars Universe you'd like to play.

Also, you can start in Edge of the Empire (for instance), and your EoTE character's can later purchase talent trees from careers in the other core books. In this way you could start a EoTE character who begins doing smuggler/bounty hunter/etc. type missions, have him come into contact with the Alliance and enlist to run missions for them and then buy into talent trees in the Age of the Rebellion core book, then somewhere along the why spend experience to discover his is force sensitive and then buy into specialization in the Force and Destiny core book and move along a track of an up and coming Jedi.

Flip that around and you could start with a force sensitive character from Force and Destiny, and then move to the Edge, abandon the Rebel cause and be a smuggler and any other imaginable progression.

Once you get how it all comes together, it solidly addresses the key areas of the Star Wars universe as well as deals with the question of "Why wouldn't everyone just be a Jedi".

Finally, you don't have to use all the core books. If you are content to just play one style, you can just stick to that core book.

The approach is very good just need to carry with the same tactics ....