At the begining....and burning zone question...

By Bubi4, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

Ok. I made one problematic topic here yesterday. Maybe this one's will be easy:

1) Whats the sequence of things that happen "at the begining of the turn" and "after your turn begins" or maybe the active player decides the sequence?

Lets take such cards and effects:

a) Warpstone Meteor (After your turn begins, each player must corrupt one of his units...)

b) Restore from coruption possibility "at the begining of the turn" once per turn

c) Cloud of flies (At the begining of the turn you may deal 1 uncancelable damage to this unit...)

d) Bloodthirster (After your turn begins each player must sacrafice a unit...)

e) Journey to the gate (place 1 token on this card at the begining of your turn...)

There was situation, I was to resolve all this? What is the sequence? (there is a difference because cloud was about to kill a unit, that blodthirster would sacrafice, and before that i could corrupt this unit in place of bloodthirster or damage to capital)

2) Can a burning zone of a capital be dalt damage let's say by doom divers or from warpstone meteor? There is no mentioning in rules that it cannot take damage while is burning...

Thanks in advance for your answers....

Bubi said:

Ok. I made one problematic topic here yesterday. Maybe this one's will be easy:

1) Whats the sequence of things that happen "at the begining of the turn" and "after your turn begins" or maybe the active player decides the sequence?

Lets take such cards and effects:

a) Warpstone Meteor (After your turn begins, each player must corrupt one of his units...)

b) Restore from coruption possibility "at the begining of the turn" once per turn

c) Cloud of flies (At the begining of the turn you may deal 1 uncancelable damage to this unit...)

d) Bloodthirster (After your turn begins each player must sacrafice a unit...)

e) Journey to the gate (place 1 token on this card at the begining of your turn...)

There was situation, I was to resolve all this? What is the sequence? (there is a difference because cloud was about to kill a unit, that blodthirster would sacrafice, and before that i could corrupt this unit in place of bloodthirster or damage to capital)

2) Can a burning zone of a capital be dalt damage let's say by doom divers or from warpstone meteor? There is no mentioning in rules that it cannot take damage while is burning...

Thanks in advance for your answers....

Ad 1: The whole order-of-actions issue was not addressed in the rules. There was a similar question regarding who decides the order of forced effects on Quest cards.

Ad 2: Another question which waits for a ruling in the next FAQ. At this stage we can only houserule...

Thanks Allavandrel

I realize this has very little sway, but in most games I have played, when you have many effects that all trigger simultaneously, the active can choose what order to resolve them in. So yes you could corrupt then restore the same unit or sacrifice a unit before an unstable mutation would destroy it. This is how I intend on playing until someone makes a compelling arguement against it.

I suspect that Argonel's home ruling will end up being the real ruling as it seems the easiest way to manage things, imho.

I agree that the easiest way is to let the first player decide the order of effects. Assuming this will be the ruling, then the first player will also decide in order of the forced effects on (CS119) Infiltrate!:

(CS119) Infiltrate!

Quest. Forced: At the beginning of your turn, discard the top X cards from each opponent's deck. X is the number of resource tokens on this quest.

Quest. Forced: At the beginning of your turn, place 1 resource token on this quest if a unit is questing here.

Argonel said:

I realize this has very little sway, but in most games I have played, when you have many effects that all trigger simultaneously, the active can choose what order to resolve them in. So yes you could corrupt then restore the same unit or sacrifice a unit before an unstable mutation would destroy it. This is how I intend on playing until someone makes a compelling arguement against it.

Not like my previous "how we did it at Gencon after I checked with Nate" ruling worked, however, when there was a conflict of timing, it was always the active player that divied the things out in the order of their choosing. Well, unless there was actually a legitimate stack set up (LIFO style).

Yeah, as of right now active player (not first player) makes all decisions about conflicting forced or beginning or end of turn effects. I don't imagine this changing (and it was also how my games with Nate went).

Yes, it seems the active player will decide. It's a bit unusual why they chose to write the standard "put a resource token on the quest" action as the second line. Given that it is an action present on every quest card currently printed, they could have just put it first. Also, it would be rare that you would NOT choose to put the token on first. Interesting...

It's just my opinion, but In the case of Infiltrate I would rule that multiple simultaneously triggered affects on a card take affect in the order they are written on the card, in this case Infiltrate has no affect until after the quest is begun and said Questing Unit has spent a full turn on the quest a la no quests should reward the adventurer for taking only the first step.

For some of the cards mentioned above, there is a subtle difference in the wording.

There are:

a) "At the beginning of your turn..." effects

and

b) "After your turn begins..." effects

Just going by the strictest application of the wording, I imagine that "After your turn begins" effects occur a step later in the phase than "At the beginning of your turn" effects.

Of course, that doesn't resolve the issue of "At the beginning" effect order. I think the method mentioned above is still a good one. I just think that these two wordings may have been intended to have two distinct steps. With separate batches of "At the beginning" and "After the beginning" effects. First one then the other.

It might help to make sense of things like Warpstone Meteor. First you restore a Unit "At the beginning", then you have to choose a Unit to corrupt "After your turn begins"

Suggesting that I can choose to corrupt something as per Warpstone meteors effect and then restore it as my one free restore. Well it makes the cards effect seem useful only half the time. i.e. when you are the active player.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

With regards to question 2, I have a follow up question. I can't find an answer anywhere in the rules but if your capital is burning, can you douse the flames by adding developments to that section, thus raising its hit points above the amount of damage suffered? If so then being able to deal additional damage to a burning zone would make sense to stop your opponent recovering. Themematically being able to use development to save a burning section of the city could be see as rebuilding, no?

Since the rules do not mention any mechanism that can restore a burning zone....no.

Aside from the rules, a houserule implementation of such a thing would have problems that are twofold:
Besides unnecessarily prolonging the game, it gives certain advantages to races with developmental production effects and burning consequences to those with developmental problems (like orks for example).

Once a zone is burning all damage tokens are removed and it has no hit points. I don't mean it has zero HP now, I mean it has no HP stat anymore. Burning is currently irreversible , and will probably remain so for quite a while. You can add all the developments you want, but that will in no way affect the zone itself, though it may well effect specific cards.

Thanks, of course the tokens are removed, it never dawned on me.