Ship stat issue?

By Matth431, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Hi,

Just getting started and getting to grips with ship construction, but am a bit confused. The example vessel Eternal Praetorian in ItS has a total cost of 59 SP. But the base hull for that ship (Lathe monitor-cruiser) costs 55 SP and the additional components, as far as I can see, total 9 SP (4 for weapons, 5 for doodads). Am I missing something or is this just an error? I note that another example (the Sovereign Venture) has a typo in its total SP cost, but the errata still says it costs 70 SP which for a Tyrant-class is the base hull cost...

Yea, its an odd one. You could say it's intentionally to intice players to pick those ships over making their own. You will find many other such contradictions, errors, miss information, and down right non-sense with the game as you continue to play it. Don't be discouraged though. Every game has its flaws, and the rules are simply guidelines to assist you. If you and your players don't agree with something in the rules, discuss it as a group and come to a consensus to correct it. Obviously, if you are all having fun, the you are doing it right. Best wishes to you.

Thanks. It does seem that the SP points for light cruisers are a bit out. You might expect them to sit between Frigates and Cruisers at 50 SP base, but all the published ones are 55 SP so with weapons will be about 59 SP even prior to fitting supplementary kit, placing them out of range of all but the two highest SP categories (ps, I messed up earlier, the base hull for the Sovereign Venture is 61 SP, that said the errata SP cost is STILL out as even the non-weapon additional systems add 11+ SP). I'd be tempted to knock 3-5 SP off the hull cost of light cruisers depending on their design. If the Lathe cost 50 SP base then the Eternal Praetorian's cost would balance. Also, traders could possibly take a light cruiser with 50 SP to spend if they downgrade it's crew or systems.

Depends how much you're modifying space combat. If, like me, you're using Mathhammer - and further tweaking the rules to resemble Battlefleet Gothic - Light Cruisers have a significant advantage: they can turn 90 degrees, like a frigate, but they're armed and armoured like a Cruiser.