Exposed cards: Would it be better if they were face up but turned sideways?

By Marinealver, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I know part of the game is hidden information but since expose pretty much reveals that information. Why not for unrezzed installed cards that end up exposed leave them face up but turn to the side 90 degrees to represent that they are still unrezzed? So once an exposed card is rezzed just turn int back to normal face up.

Do you think this is a good practice? What about using this technique for an instructional game with a new or potentially new player?

Edited by Marinealver

I wouldn't do it. Remembering what that exposed card is and where it's at becomes part of the game. But then, I'm a tournament player and thus am highly allergic to house rules. There's no wrong way to play, I suppose.

It also creates potential problems with clarity of board-state. Why is there a card amongst my ICE which is portrait instead of landscape?

What about derezzed cards? Do you treat those the same way? Assets which you checked but didn't trash and are still unrezzed?

It also creates potential problems with clarity of board-state. Why is there a card amongst my ICE which is portrait instead of landscape?

What about derezzed cards? Do you treat those the same way? Assets which you checked but didn't trash and are still unrezzed?

I guessed derezzed cards can count as revealed and same for accessed assets that were not trashed, same for agendas that were not stolen. Revealed cards that would not be face up would be well uninstalled cards so HQ. Maybe I should have said revealed instead of exposed.

I understand there is a memory component but to be honest I don't see that much of it. Unless the corps is playing a shell game there is mostly 2 maybe 3 remote servers. Some fast advance might have 5 but often it is just a piece of ICE for NEH to take effect.

I think from a learning point of view having unrezzed cards be face up because you have found out what they are would be more confusing and counter-productive than any benefits from having them be face-up but not rezzed.

Where the memory aspect is dulling enjoyment of the game it would be better to put down a "I've seen that" counter and with your opponents permission be able to recheck what that card was at a later time (the game is pretty clear about not being able to use slight of hand to confuse the issue as to what cards are in or protecting a server).

Alternatively let the new player take notes as to what they have seen, and certainly shy away from playing decks that rely on runner mistakes for flatlines. Really, I would hope when teaching the game to people you aint letting them find out where the snare! is and if they happen to have forgotten just let then run into it without dropping some kind of friendly hint.

However, I would also note that the game is predicated on hidden information and on building up a mental picture of what your opponent is trying to do. For example from their ID you know what ICE is common to that faction, but then there is influence - how much have they used so far, what does that mean for potential surprises. There is only so much that can be avoided before potentially undermining the development of longer term analysis skills within the game.