PCs from Other Biginner Sets or Player-Created PCs in F&D Begin Adv.?

By Farseerixirvost, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

I will be running the F&D scenario soon, but haven't gotten it yet and read it. I've got all the Beginner set characters from EotE and AoR, and all those sets' extra download characters.

Anyone have tips, experience, and/or advice about using these other pre-gen characters in place of a couple of the F&D PCs? I suspect 2-3 of the players will want to play a force character from F&D beginners, but I suspect 1, maybe 2, of the players would prefer a non-force PC.

Same question but in regards to tips, experience, and/or advice about using PCs created by the players. Especially if I allowed all three rulesets to be drawn from.

Thanks in advance for the advice!! ;)

Edited by Farseerixirvost

I would just make sure you provide the PCs with appropriate backgrounds to explain "why" they are doing what they're doing—motivation is an important thing, and the pregens for AoR & EotE Beginner Games won't really have a shared motivation with the FaD pregens.

Secondarily, you might make sure that you have a good spread of characteristic and skills among the participating PCs. Just to make things interesting, and keep the players from stepping on each others' toes too much.

In addition to adjusting motivations as to why the characters are looking for a mentor that's never taught them, like awayputurwpn mentioned, you might hit a small snag where players are supposed to get their first real use out of the force by using their powers to find a way out of a situation (I think it's like the 4th encounter, right after they first fight hunters). It's not a particularly big/important encounter so you can handle it how you choose by requiring a skill check or having the force users help out non-sensitives out (though the former approach might make the normal folks feel less useless).

The gatekeeper could have arranged the "Use the Force" encounter, and purposely lured only the force user into the scenario. Maybe it approaches the non force sensitives at the same time with another social encounter. This gatekeeper could try and dissuade the non Force user from continuing,

I will be drifting over into Force and Destiny. One of my wife's characters that will suit the Jedi style well, but that is not her background. She still has some Obligation to attempt to resolve (revolving around her brother, the gambler), once we reach a pressure point in that arc, she will have a vision. No idea what the vision will entail (I still need the core rulebook), but it will begin to trigger some of her Force abilities. Little does she know that it will also start to trigger them in her poor little brother, the gambler, the life-is-not-fair little thug. I know she will turn light side fairly quickly. I also know he will disappear and grow strong in the dark side. He will later emerge as Darth Vex (or something similar). They will encounter each other often as they grow. Only much later will his true name be revealed...

Meanwhile, she keeps the Obligation, because dark little brother escaped leaving her hanging with all of his balance due... and as that is paid off, there is more Obligation coming. She will just get to add in Morality and deal with it as best as possible. It's going to be a great year or two! And that's just one player... if the others want in, I'll stack it high and deep... cinematically!

Considering that the whole purpose of the adventure is to rescue a non force-user who researches Jedi lore- it seems entirely reasonable that she would have allies/friends who are also non force-users.

I ran this last week and (Kaveri) the girl who uses the blaster rifle was a real badass.

I think the only issue will be if you bring non-lightsaber wielding melee characters. That breach 10 is essentially "ignore soak" which means they consistently do more damage than the poor guy with the stick. (Dao)