Modified

By Shades~, in UFS Rules Q & A

Hello UFS fourums~

I am just trying out ufs as i recently aquired a box of domination theme decks. I was wondering what sets the current modified format includes. Is UFS modified and legacy, or played in a block structure (which i don't understand how that works lol)? There is a play group at the comic shop where i play pokemon so i was going to try and build a modified deck and try it out. Are there any streetfighter sets legal? Thanks in advance

~Shades

UFS uses a block system. To know what block a card belongs in, look at the shuriken in the text box of the cards (printed behind the text). The number of points on the shuriken represents the block. So with dominion the shuriken has 4 points, which is block 3. At the start of this september UFS rotated to block 4, which is cards with a 5 pointed shuriken. The current block 4 legal sets are:

Soul Calibur IV
Shadowar
Tekken 6

Note this only applies to standard tournament format, so in friendly games or legacy tournaments, the block doesnt usually matter.

Ok, cool. So this would mean that older sets become playable again when we shift to another block. about how often is there a block switch? once per seaon?

~Shades

older sets are only playable in legacy.

legacy is equivalent to magic type I, where all (non banned) cards are legal.

The other format UFS has is "standard" which is at this moment anything with the 5pt shuriken watermark.

Older sets don't "rotate in". New sets come out as part of standard (and also legacy, since it allows ANYTHING not banned) and once they rotate out they are legacy only.

Sets never rotate out of legacy, or into standard, if that makes sense.

Many playgroups also give new players a bit of a segway in to the game, like in your case, when people don't have the correct format of cards. That or they'll heap tons of cards on you, almost enough to make one or two new 'standard' legal decks (standard right now being block 5, which is the Shadowar, SCIV and Tekken6 sets)

Shades~ said:

Ok, cool. So this would mean that older sets become playable again when we shift to another block. about how often is there a block switch? once per seaon?

~Shades

No, it's just like Pokemon's Modified format. Right now it's basically "Set 12-on", which means anything with a five-point shuriken watermark on the cards - Soul Calibur IV Tower of Souls and ShadoWar comprise set 12, and set 13 is Tekken 6.

In two years, Gencon 2011, five-point shuriken cards will rotate out and it'll become (most likely) set 16-on for 6-point shurikens (presumably).