Preservation spell & Priest / cross destroying spirit

By ososober, in Talisman Rules Questions

At least per the talismanwiki.com, if you look at the wording of Preservation and then click on the word "attack", you get a clarification that attack refers to the resolution battle or psychic combat. Both Cross and Priest use the term "without resorting to psychic combat", so I'd say Preservation can't be used on the Enemy if either ability is used.

I agree with Dam as does sanityismyvanity!

yes, but there is also the wording "cast as required" and can you use preservation when the following happens,

1 fireball

2 finger of death

and other instant out of combat spells

Also note that Preservation prevents the Enemy from being killed , Priest/Cross do not use that word in their abilities.

yes, but there is also the wording "cast as required" and can you use preservation when the following happens,

1 fireball

2 finger of death

and other instant out of combat spells

Fireball and Finger of Death can be cast only "when you're about to engage in battle", which means you're not "out of combat", but that battle has been initiated instead. Battle is going to happen regardless of the Spell's effect, unless there are no more Enemies left to fight.

Preservation can be cast to prevent the effects of these Spells on target Enemies. It has the side effect to fast forward the attack to a stand-off, even though no dice have been rolled for it.

I also agree with Dam on the answer to the first question.

Edited by The_Warlock

I would say that Preservation can't be cast on an Ennemy outside of combat, because all its effects must be able to affect the target (or the target is invalid). The Preservation spell has two effects :

1/ It prevents the Ennemy from being killed, so you can't cast it on an Enemy that is not about to be killed.

2/ It says that the result of the attack is a stand-off, so you can't cast it on an Enemy outside of combat