Missions to Share?

By cpteveros, in Only War

Anybody got some particularly fun missions they've had as a group? Anything they've done as a GM? I've got a couple written up that we have done or are planning on doing that I would love to share. It is always fun to see what other people are doing in their campaigns or get some inspiration for your own table.

I remember one short, but fairly entertaining objective a GM gave us as Drop Troopers was to drop onto one of several approaching Tau Mantas and destroy them, as we couldn't get Anti-Aircraft defences set up in time to deal with them before they got to base.

He didn't give us any specifics, just "We're gonna have a Valkyrie fly you lot overhead and you have to drop onto it. How you destroy it is up to you." So, we had our demolitions expert set up some explosives with the help of the Tech Priest while the rest would fight off any Xenos or drones that came along. It was pretty intense, since none of us had magnetic boots or anything of the sort, so for a short fire fight it was made that much harder by the winds and other hazards you might find on such a thing (that, and there wasn't really any cover, since the top of a manta is fairly flat).

Took out an Imperial knight with a power sword and a flaming sock puppet.

My players Spent two hours beating up a drug dealer.

Players had to sneak into a compound and pretended to be idot farmers, which we spent a good hour laughing on the floor.

Please, do elaborate :P

Also I wouldn't mind looking at what you did for your Skrynne camp random encounters and all that too, if you didn't mind.

i gave my crew a starter mission when we started because i hadn't read the starter campaign in the core rulebook yet.

they were Elysian Drop Troops. it started with them being briefed that the fleet was unable to reinforce troops planetside due to an anti-aircraft cannon that was placed ontop of a tall building. their mission was to drop in and take out the gun aswell as extract a high value asset. to land on the building undetected they would land on one of the landing pads 20 floors under the gun.it was their own choice on how to take the gun out.

it turned out interesting. instead of extracting the high value asset, they took him for an undercover enemy, taped him to a chair and shoved a grenade up his bum. and they eventualy managed to take out the anti-aircraft gun. the ogryn had to be pushed off the building and just as he was pushed off he spread out his palms toward the building by accident just as the gun exploded. as he fell he believed he was the one that caused the explosion. also while they were falling the psyker was being a smartarse so the ratling shot the Hallucinogen grenade on his belt. the eftect made him think he could fly witout the grav chute. if it were not for the commisar grabbing hold of the psyker and activating his grav chute the psyker would have been a nice bloody patch on the ground.

Here's what we do with those, who violate His Law!

PC'w were assigned as an execution squad. They went to the temporary regimental jail to collect the wretched souls that were supposed to be their targets. They meet there a heretic, follower of Tzeentch, drug addict, guy who pissed at Aquila, one that commited some secret crime against the Golden Throne and... One gambler which turned out to be too good a card player and was turned over to authorities by his mates after there was a rumor that he's a cheater. Unfortunately PC's find his cell empty. Soldier that had guard duty night before was in strange state - curled ond the floor, sukcing his thumbs and looking as if he saw all four Chaos Gods at once. Commisar that oversees the execution gives PC's a task: find out where the gambler is, drag him to the wall and execute with others.

How would we know where to look for him?

Of course every Fellowship test might be swapped with Charm, Intimidate, or even Commerce test (in case of using Commerce PC has to trade something from his Standard Regimental Kit in exchange for information as it is described in Core Rulebook. Information "availability" in square brackets).

Now, there are couple things that PC's might learn:

- gambler was also known for his "magic tricks" with cards and coins (Fellowship (+10) test at cantine)[Common]

- last night many guardsmen noticed the same, strange phenomenon: while they were shaving their reflection in the mirror distorted. There was a party before, so everyone thinks that's just because they were still drunk. That's why the test to get that intel is -20 harder for a seargant or a fresh recruit that doesn't know many guardsmen. Also if PC's were seen by those soldiers with a commissar the test gets -10 harder. Basically it's Fellowship (+10) test.[Average]

- Someone at HQ might know that there isn't really a place to go for a wanted fugitive. Enemies (you name them) surrounded the regiment and control almost all roads from the base (in this campaign PC's regiment starts with terrible situatuion on the front) The only safe route seems to be local river, but right now only reachable place by it is local hospital. It's a Fellowship (-10) test with penalties from the previous intel reversed (if you are or have been seen with authorities, it's obvious there's bigger chance for someone from the HQ come to talk to you).

If PC's won't succeed in obtaining the last intel, they might come up with it by themselves after an hour of invesetigation, but it will make things little harder for them later.

The St. Drussus Infirmarium

Anyway, they find out that the gambler had to fly to the hospital. This place was hit hard in last days, so it didn't function normally. If PC's go there, neutralize the gambler and help to defend the place, the hospital starts to function normally and grants +10 to Medicae Extended Care Tests.

If PC's got the information quickly, straight from the HQ, they arrive to hospital while it's military crew is lying critically wounded, scattered all over the place. They say that the gambler came, took some patients with him from the psychic ward and told them to attack guardsmen. Patients listened, and the soldiers didn't expect anything, half of them were already wounded, so they didn't stand for much long.

If PC's failed to get intel from HQ, they come little too late. Guardsmen stationing here are killed and their bodies mutilated, usual chaos stuff. They don't really learn anything from the situation, except there's something really ****** up going on.

In bothe cases they encounter the gambler in his new form. He uses Renegade Psyker profile from Core Rulebook and is Overseer of the formation of Sorcerous Pawns. If you want the gambler to be some kind of a villain you may give him Touch by the Fate (2) Trait and a backstory. If he's killed or escapes after he burnes his FP, this part of the mission is considered to be concluded.

Then if you want (for example if PC's weren't really hurt during the encounter), you may attack them with an enemy force and force them to defend the hospital. In my scenario the enemies are orks and the attackers are formations of ork handlers with gretchin minions.

And that's it.