Cybernetic senses working as intended?

By ColArana, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Mini-rant up front. Cybernetic senses are ridiculously expensive. I can appreciate that there was probably an intent to prevent decently wealthy characters like nobleborns and clerics from getting easy access to Good quality or best quality cybernetic senses easily, but for characters with more moderate incomes, it seems like losing an eye means you're going the rest of the campaign without it, as buying a replacement would be near impossible, unless you go for a poor quality replacement

Which brings me to the point of this thread.

Having a character who's recently lost an eye I was checking in on the idea of getting a poor quality bionic replacement and... Is it just me or are poor quality bionic senses literally no better than not having that sense at all?

As far as I can see, losing an eye permanently reduces Ballistic skill by ten (at least until you get the eye back) and you take a -20 on all sight based tests.

A poor quality cybernetic eye notes that you also take a -20 on all sight based tests.

Is it intended for there to functionally be no real difference between having a poor quality bionic eye and no bionic eye at all?

Wouldn't the inquisitor just give him a good replacement? What's the use of having crippled acolytes?

Is it intended for there to functionally be no real difference between having a poor quality bionic eye and no bionic eye at all?

It looks like it . But the situation changes if we start talking about both eyes.

Wouldn't the inquisitor just give him a good replacement? What's the use of having crippled acolytes?

Our Inquisitor, at least as the GM portrayed him really seemed to be all about independence and letting us fend for ourselves.

Also he's dead, and our current mission is all about avenging him. My Psyker has actually managed to marry into nobility, but due to an altercation with the guy who killed our Inquisitor that resulted in my Psyker burning a fate point, his family was instructed to treat him as though he's dead for the time being.

So no "easy" ways of simply influencing our way into getting a decent replacement, sadly.

EDIT: Also, very true. It's a massive step up from having no eyes, but if you only have one it seems to have little improvement.

Although on that note, it seems even stranger now that Cybernetic senses, at least as far as RAW is concerned, cost the same whether you are getting one new eye or two. Is the listed price simply the cost of a single bionic eye, or for a full set?

Edited by ColArana