Martanni

By lars16, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

We had a special rules tourney last night where in anticipation of the martell expansion coming out you had to run Treaty of the South. On top of that you had to have at least 5 individual martell characters, and at least one martell location and attachment. I was thinking of going with a bara summer themed deck and use the martell summer tech. Then I figured that would be the popular choice in our meta (i was half right) and went with lannister instead as martell has a lot of things that slot right into lanni without clogging them. The -5 power was not at issues since we were all running treaties, but in a game against an opponent w/out a treaty i think this deck would hold up nicely.

Martanni - Lannister - Treaty with the South (63 total cards)

----- Plots (7) avg income: 3.4 -----
A Song of Summer x1 A Song of Summer F20 (thought i'd be seeing lots of bara summer decks, instead just saw lots of bara decks. easily replaced)
Wildfire Assault x1 Core Set L191
Hear Me Roar x1 Core Set L192
Blockade x1 Core Set L193 (this and valar are nasty back to back, especially in lanni)
Building Season x1 Core Set S195 (to go get either lannisport brothel or Lost osais, or at worst a Golden Tooth Mine, i never cared what my opponent got)
Valar Morghulis x1 Core Set S201
Fury of the Lion x1 Ancient Enemies F26 (never really needed it, could be replaced for better effect)

----- Characters (34) avg cost: 2 -----
Silent Sisters x1 Kings of the Sea F44 (awesome after valar and to trigger Tyrion again)
Dornish Paramour x3 The Tower of the Hand F55 (my favorite martell card right now....coupled with Lost Oasis = knelt character, won challenge, and draw...aka lanni wet dream)
Gold Cloaks x1 A Time of Trials F25 (draw, 4 str mil and power, triggers tyrion...)
* Tyrion Lannister x2 City of Secrets F5
* Tommen Baratheon x1 Scattered Armies F106
Mountain Refugee x3 Refugees of War F85
Refugee of the Citadel x3 Refugees of War F92
Pit Viper x2 Refugees of War F93 (giving lanni easily miltary wins/more character control is just wrong....glad this has a martell house icon)
River Bandit x2 Refugees of War F95 (for the baratheon decks, at worst i lose a goldroad...)
* Obara Sand x2 The Winds of Winter F31(for a 2nd muligan, which i was afraid of with a themed deck)
Underhanded Assassin x1 The Winds of Winter F32 (more to meet the 5th martell character requirement. could replace with varys or another pit viper)
* Ser Jaime Lannister x2 Core Set L37
* Chella, Daughter of Cheyk x1 Core Set L43 (location control that i never really needed)
* Bronn x1 Core Set L44
Enemy Informer x3 Core Set L48
Lannisport Steward x1 Core Set L52 (cold have 1 more....)
Lannisport Weaponsmith x1 Core Set L53 (could ave 1-2 more...)
Castellan of the Rock x3 The Battle of Ruby Ford F93
* Jhalabar Xho x1 The War of Five Kings F2

----- Locations (15) avg cost: 0.5 -----
Lost Oasis x1 A Time of Trials F36 (One of my favorites as i said above)
Lannisport Brothel x1 Core Set L56 (staple. sick with flogged and chained...but what kneel effect isn't?)
Golden Tooth Mines x2 Core Set L57 (disgusting card.....four cards drawn before marshalling....makes the difference after valar)
The Goldroad x3 Core Set L61
Sunset Sea x3 Core Set L65
Summer Sea x2 Core Set T134
Street of Steel x1 Core Set S139
Shadowblack Lane x1 Core Set L144
Street of Sisters x1 Core Set B149

----- Attachments (4) avg cost: 1.7 -----
Flogged and Chained x3 Tales from the Red Keep F65 (ri-f***ing-diculous................doesn't even 'target' so eddard was a sad panda)
Dornish Chariot x1 The War of Five Kings F20 (in to meet requirements replace with card of your choice or just pull it out of the deck)

----- Events (10) -----
The Hand's Judgement x3 The Tower of the Hand F59
Distraction x2 Core Set S155
You've Killed the Wrong Dwarf! x2 Core Set L167
Compelled by the Rock x3 Calling the Banners F106 (hmm steals a bodyguard before a valar...at worst moves a flogged and chained to a better character.....)

Sounds like a cool idea for a tourney. We've been kicking around the idea of a Kingsmoot event where everyone had to run the Greyjoy treaty.

Who ended up winning it all, by the way?

I did (which is not a long enough response so here is the rest of the hose break down...)

we had 6 people play in it.

1 Lanni - 3-0

4 bara - 2-1 (won the tie break game for 2nd), 2-1 (lost the tie break game), 1-2, 0-3

1 Stark - 1-2

Sounds like a great idea and a good deck, but the requirements seem really light. I would have made a 3:1 rule. For every three cards in your deck without the House Martell Shield you must have one that does. One quarter of your deck. I mean if you are aiming for some House Martell love put it out there. I'd rather it be one third but I know people would balk at that.

eh. those were just the minimums and i still had 1/3 of my character base be martell. Most decks ran more characters then i did and the stark deck ran multiple locations (2x lost oasis and 2x field spikes) and attachments.

~ No one ran a Martell Treaty of the South Deck?

~ Seriously the house was way... under represented at your tourney.

Glad to hear that your meta went with the spirit and not just the letter.

I'm lovin' it.