Nemesis - Desperate Allies card

By eblingus, in Relic

The Eldar Nemesis has a card "Desperate Allies" - "Place this card in your play area. Play with the top card of the red, blue, and yellow Threat decks revealed. Add 1 to your battle score for each Threat card visible on the top of these decks."

I don't understand how we are supposed to follow that second sentence.

We played it that at the start of the Eldar's turn, he revealed the top card of the three Threat decks, took the bonus as appropriate, then discarded those three cards, so they would not influence any other player turn. Is that right? The card does not say anything about discarding them, but I don't see how it would work any other way.

Hi firend; that cards works like that:

1st - you place it close to your Eldar Nemesis sheet

2nd - you turn face-up the 3 toppermost cards of the 3 threat decks

3rd - you play your turn as usual

4rd - when you are engaged in a fight you add + 1 to your die roll for each enemy threat card showing itself on the top of those decks

5th - those cards are drawn by game effects or players ? Turn face-up another card from the just drawn threat card's deck in order to have always a full set of three threat cards showing their "face" to all the gamers

6th - discard the "Desperate Allies" card once you level up (and,then, turn all the face-up cards face-down untill you re-draw the Desperate Allies card once more !!!)

I don't understand it either, and I also don't get this explanation. Why discard the card once you level up? Also, I thought the "Crisis" cards were supposed to be discarded immediately after reading them.

Thanks Ivan, that is helpful and insightful, and after thinking about it, makes sense and we will try it that way. My only disagreement is #6 - the card does not say discard on going up a level, only on gaining infamy.

Yes Kirk, that is what I thought too, but #1 & #6 only make sense if you do NOT discard it after reading it. There is something in the rules about "if the rulebook and card instructions disagree, follow the card", so I think this is a case of that.

To support that, I would point out the flavor text on the card, which clearly says that the Eldar is helping the Imperial players with information, which matches these rules where you leave the Threat decks cards revealed for all the players to see and take advantage of.

Edited by eblingus

The Eldar Nemesis has a card "Desperate Allies" - "Place this card in your play area. Play with the top card of the red, blue, and yellow Threat decks revealed. Add 1 to your battle score for each Threat card visible on the top of these decks."

I don't understand how we are supposed to follow that second sentence.

We played it that at the start of the Eldar's turn, he revealed the top card of the three Threat decks, took the bonus as appropriate, then discarded those three cards, so they would not influence any other player turn. Is that right? The card does not say anything about discarding them, but I don't see how it would work any other way.

unfortunately it is not correct...

the faced up cards remain visible and in play not discarded !!!

they each add a + 1 in combat rolls made by the eldar nemesis until he levels up and is obliged to discard the "desperate allies" card itself

...if you own the HoT expansion and you want to have a tiny and graetly feeble chance to beat the "Dark Crusade" scenario sheet you will find that this card is one of the COMPULSORY cards to be drawn and used in order to win it...

Otherwise - prepare your character and your friends too to see the "Each gamer loses the game - All the players lose togheter" coming up time after time you play this scenario !!!

(I played it dozens of times and we were able to win it just ONCE out of them all !!! And the winner was the Eldar Nemesis - which arrived to "25 Infamy" due to the extreme number of corruption cards drawn and discarded during the match by the "Good Guys"...

Thanks Ivan, that is helpful and insightful, and after thinking about it, makes sense and we will try it that way. My only disagreement is #6 - the card does not say discard on going up a level, only on gaining infamy.

Yes Kirk, that is what I thought too, but #1 & #6 only make sense if you do NOT discard it after reading it. There is something in the rules about "if the rulebook and card instructions disagree, follow the card", so I think this is a case of that.

To support that, I would point out the flavor text on the card, which clearly says that the Eldar is helping the Imperial players with information, which matches these rules where you leave the Threat decks cards revealed for all the players to see and take advantage of.

Search the eldar nemesis sheet... Once you level up you gain infamy (on 3 / 4 steps you gain infamy... SO... It means you will have the "Desp. Allies" card thrown into the discard pile and all the face up cards on threat decks returning to the normal "face down" state (and losing as a consequence of it the chance to forecast the enemies - as seen by an "imperial player" perspective - or to add +1 to battle rolls for the Eldar nemesis itself !!!)...

And tell me if I am correct or am I not ?!?

I don't understand it either, and I also don't get this explanation. Why discard the card once you level up? Also, I thought the "Crisis" cards were supposed to be discarded immediately after reading them.

When you read the "Desp. Allies" card it states "Discard this card once you gain 1 or more infamy"...

THEN... IT MEANS THAT...

* (look the nemesis sheet) You are commanded to discard it once you level up and gain 1 infamy as a consequence of the "level up" itself (you gain 1 infamy 4 or 5 times during your nemesis' leveling ups if I don't remember it badly)

* You are also OBLIGED to discard this card once you face and beat a normal character in a normal combat (since the Eldar Nemesis has the skill to "beat a character and gain 2 infamy" - because the eldar obliges to discard a corruption card and when it happens he GAINS +2 infamy !!!

SO...

EACH TIME you GAIN + 1 OR + 2 to your INFAMY DIAL the "Desperate Allies" card ends into the discarded nemesis cards pile (turning the face up cards to their normal "face down" state)