Why are there so many additional infantry in the army packs?

By downsizedsandals, in BattleLore

I can't possibly imagine using all these guys. What's up?

Maybe so it's easier to play daqan vs daqan games.

Yes. I find this strange. It's almost like an excuse not to add an extra unit. I won't be painting those ones.

The other units are all excellent however and I am super excited to play.

I wouldn't count the extra infantry out until you've tried them. With 5 units from the core set and 3 units from the expansion you get 8 units for 24 points. That's only half of your muster points. Then you could support with 2 legends and 2 casters and get to 49. That gives you a lot of units to contest for banners. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't discount such an army until you've played with it.

With that many Citadel Guards, you will get a lot of extra attacks with Pursue and you can more easily push your enemies around. And with 8 Blood Harvesters, you don't care so much about losing one so you're more accepting of using Frenzy to deal extra damage.

I wouldn't count the extra infantry out until you've tried them. With 5 units from the core set and 3 units from the expansion you get 8 units for 24 points

Actually, it's 32 points (8×4), but still, it leaves a lot of space to implement different options

I wouldn't count the extra infantry out until you've tried them. With 5 units from the core set and 3 units from the expansion you get 8 units for 24 points. That's only half of your muster points. Then you could support with 2 legends and 2 casters and get to 49. That gives you a lot of units to contest for banners. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't discount such an army until you've played with it.

With that many Citadel Guards, you will get a lot of extra attacks with Pursue and you can more easily push your enemies around. And with 8 Blood Harvesters, you don't care so much about losing one so you're more accepting of using Frenzy to deal extra damage.

Why not take a mix of units? Do you prefer 5 citadel guards and 3 archers, or 8 citadel guards?

I wouldn't count the extra infantry out until you've tried them. With 5 units from the core set and 3 units from the expansion you get 8 units for 24 points

Actually, it's 32 points (8×4), but still, it leaves a lot of space to implement different options

Woops! Thanks for the correction.

Why not take a mix of units? Do you prefer 5 citadel guards and 3 archers, or 8 citadel guards?

Neither. I play Uthuk Y'llan ;) :P [sorry!]

But to answer your question, in earnest, I do usually take a mix of units. For example, I could take Blood Harvesters and Berserkers instead of all Blood Harvesters. In most cases, that's what I do. But my point is that even though that's how conventional wisdom tells us we should build armies, we won't know how 8 of them work until we try it. And it's definitely something I look forward to trying.

Depends on the Lore deck I'm gonna build.

In any case, 8 Citadel Guards can be impressive. you have amazing odds of generating retreats to trigger Pursue, hence not only you have good chances ay attacking twice / unit activated, but you are also impressive at gaining control of key points of the board

Edited by Julia

I'll admit, I have way too many Citadel Guards, but I also have 2 core sets, so that gave me plenty :)

Scott, with all these guards your citadel looks more like a metropolis...

I guess I could try a battle with 13 Citadel Guards for 52 points and a command tent :) Just to try it.

I guess I could try a battle with 13 Citadel Guards for 52 points and a command tent :) Just to try it.

Yeah. It might be fun to try if you have it.

But after thinking about it more, my position has completely flipped. I would have rather had +1 each of Grotesque, Blood Sister, and Berserker than 3 more Blood Harvesters. Oh well. Maybe I'll pick up a second Warband of Scorn some day.

If you happen to draw Mustering the Militia (a good scenario card for the Daqan in my opinion) you CAN get 8 units of Citadel Guards for 24 points, or 13 for 39 :)

Edited by Daverman

If you happen to draw Mustering the Militia (a good scenario card for the Daqan in my opinion) you CAN get 8 units of Citadel Guards for 24 points, or 13 for 39 :)

Thanks for the save! ;)

This means you can go for 17 + 4 Lore & 1 Command Tent! Time to get a third base set!!!

It is easy to understand why are there so many additional basic infantry troops in the army packs: you may muster an army without owning the basic box, following the army card in each expansion. Same for the coming two Undead packs: you may have two independent functional armies or one complete full set where you can choose troops.

It is easy to understand why are there so many additional basic infantry troops in the army packs: you may muster an army without owning the basic box

I don't see how this is possible: if you don't own the core set, you don't have the board to play on, you don't have terrain tiles and most importantly you don't have the Command cards

Yes, that is true, but every "army pack" is a self contained, complete army with few variant (following the army cards included) and not only an expansion of the standard armies of the game box. This is the reason of the presence of some basic standard troops in every package (undeads included). This choice by FFG is truly a mystery to me: i suppose FFG has taken into account that someone may want his personal army and pieces when playing whith a friend that owns the game.

Could be. Honestly, I have no idea of the age target of the game, but I can see younger generations splitting the cost for expanding the game (ten years ago I'd not have had the money to get the whole line). I'm not that puzzled with Waiqar (after all you can choose to pick only one army pack); it's a little odd with core set factions, tho.

Could be. Honestly, I have no idea of the age target of the game, but I can see younger generations splitting the cost for expanding the game (ten years ago I'd not have had the money to get the whole line). I'm not that puzzled with Waiqar (after all you can choose to pick only one army pack); it's a little odd with core set factions, tho.

At some later point there may a box set with different starter factions (undead v elf?). In which case you could then use Hernfar as a basic army. I think fulvio67 is on to something. There would then be 2 self-contained army boxes for each faction.
Edited by moppers

The coming of the promo kit for demonstration games at the shop allow a dealer to say to Young guys "you only need to buy this army pack and come here to play with your friends..."

I also suspect that FFG is considering that many players love to paint his personal army, and thus they don't love to mix pieces with a friend. Here the need of a self-contained army pack