Talents after Change of Career

By yooden, in WFRP Rules Questions

I could not find an explicit rule, so I have to ask: Are you allowed to use talents after a change of career, even talents you can't place on the new career's career sheet?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Add missing "not" (duh).

Edited by yooden

You keep the talents, like anything else you bought during the career. However, you can only slot talents that you have correct slots for. The otherones are useless until you change into a new career that has correct slots. Allthough, remember that they can still be slotted on the Party Sheet ;)

This is explained more on page 7 of the FAQ, which points out you may wish to plan ahead in careers with a view to use of your talents etc., and that there are some options for more flexibility (at a price) such as Zealot insanity etc.

My gaming group never liked that some talents can become obsolete. So I created these: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14855200/ExtraTalents.jpg

So for one XP you can buy extra talent slot, or you can get a "creative"-talent (inspired by Creative thinking which exists as a real talent).

This obviously is a houserule, but it works well in my group. And it's also nice to be able to get extra slots on higher ranks, where a player might have a lot of talents and fewer sockets.

Thanks for your responses! I now have downloaded the FAQ, and I should have looked for it before.

The Party Sheet is a good tip! That is a game element I'm not yet used to.

The houserule also seems like a good idea to consider. If I understand you correctly, you handle the extra slot as a talent itself, not using a slot, but providing one. Is that correct?

In which box do we find Creative Thinking?

Thanks again!

The houserule also seems like a good idea to consider. If I understand you correctly, you handle the extra slot as a talent itself, not using a slot, but providing one. Is that correct?

In which box do we find Creative Thinking?

Yes correct, for purposes of spending XP the extra talent slots are talents. But they do not use a slot, they provide one. I limit these so a character can only buy one extra slot per talent type, so at a maximum you could get three extra talent slots, one reputation, one focus and one tactic. It works well in my group and does not break the game. :)

The real Creative Thinking is a Focus talent which is included in The Gathering Storm adventure.