The Bad, The Worse, and the Ugly >> A look at handling enemies & adversaries in WFRP

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

Mal Reynolds said:

IT IS IF THE NEW RULES WILL CHANGE HOW WE VIEW OR INTERACT WITH THE WORLD OF WARHAMMER!!!!!!

"The change in rules, i.e. the method of interacting with the World of Warhammer, will not change how we interact with the world of Warhammer..."

Well that makes sense...

i am a little bit surprised about the tone of the arguments going on on this thread in particular. Arguing over the henchman rule and whether it will make starting characters too HEROIC is at the moment a little premature. We still don't know a lot about combat (particularly about weapons and armour), fortune and fate points, to know how these henchman rules are really going to affect combat against characters. Will there still be Ulrics Fury ? If so any skeleton or snotling can get lucky, and a horde of them many times so under these henchmen rules. I found in version 2 that combat was always a risk as it should be, and nothing I have seen so far suggests that it will be any less so in version 3. I say SO FAR, as in reality, particularly with combat, we know very little about how it will work out, and so a lot of the argument and rancour at the moment, seems profoundly misplaced, until we can see the finished products. Here I speak as one player who started off in the HORRIFIED category, but last week put in a preorder for both the Core set and the Adventurers kit.

ragnar63 said:

Will there still be Ulrics Fury ?

It looks like damage dealt is your strength value + any bonus from your manouver minus half the Toughness value of the person your hitting (that seems to be assuming they are wearing armour).

So a normally kitted out Chaos Warrior has a base Damage of 6 and a Soak of 3.

I suspect that the Damage is not rolled but applied straight so the only 'roll up' per say is down to the action you catually take. (You can see that Basic Attack has something like +2 damage if you get 3 successes.)

ragnar63 said:

i am a little bit surprised about the tone of the arguments going on on this thread in particular. Arguing over the henchman rule and whether it will make starting characters too HEROIC is at the moment a little premature.

guess, that sometimes we all get worked up over something, , but I will quit my ranting for now. Heck I will even give Jardrax his own personal little victory. He deserves that, for being so gifted with semantic parries and dodging the meanings behind the words.

But once in the while its good to use enfadado.gif instead of all the gran_risa.gif and happy.gif and gui%C3%B1o.gif . I am not angry or even mildy upset.

Funny thing is, it all started out when I wanted to lessen the worries of Loswaith, and ended up being a long rant (in my first post about it I did a poor job, being overly sarcastic).

To Jardrax: you`re right, You`re SO right! it`s wisdom of the century, I will remain in my cave wathcing the shadowplay. 1 for you nil for me.

Mal Reynolds said:

jadrax said:

Mal Reynolds said:

No, I disagree with you, the Henchmen system will not change the scope of this game.

Then what is the point of it?

scope
/sko?p/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [skohp] Show IPA noun, verb, scoped, scop⋅ing.
Use scope in a Sentence
–noun
1. extent or range of view, outlook, application, operation, effectiveness, etc.: an investigation of wide scope.
2. space for movement or activity; opportunity for operation: to give one's fancy full scope.
3. extent in space; a tract or area.
4. length: a scope of cable.
5. aim or purpose.
6. Linguistics, Logic. the range of words or elements of an expression over which a modifier or operator has control: In “old men and women,” “old” may either take “men and women” or just “men” in its scope.
7. (used as a short form of microscope, oscilloscope, periscope, radarscope, riflescope, telescopic sight, etc.)

The word scope in this connection, is meant as a aim or purpose (5). The underlying message I am trying to tell, is that the rule will no change how we look at the game. So it will mean something like this:

No I disagree with you, the Henchmen system will not change [replace scope] the view or purpose of this game . gui%C3%B1o.gif

Actually by the term scope, I was referring to the first explination of the meaning of the word itself, its a change in the range of view or outlook of the of the game as a whole. Warhammer is now far more cinematic with henchmen rules than without them, which is why you see similare rules in very cinematic games, and less often or even never in less cinematic games like Warhammer 1st/2nd ed and Call of Cthulhu.

While point 5 is irrelevant since the purpose or aim of the henchmen rules is to facilitate a faster combat. Which Im sure most of us are assuming it will in general have that effect, though thats realy hard to determine without seeing it in action.

hi Loswaith

What I should have written in my first response to you was: Don`t worry the Warhammer we know will be the same, with or without Henchmen rules .

Point being that we all different views of how a WFRP game is supposed to be. There are hundreds of groups playing WFRP, and each group play it differntly or emphasize other things of it than the next group does. You feel or worry that the 3E will be too cinematic and heroic for your taste, while I don`t. It doesn`t mean that your wrong and I am right or vice versa.

When I will pick up my 3e, and go home to play it with my group, nothing much will have changed, my guys will crack jokes, make fun of somebodies new PC name, and he who always play dwarf, will know,- as always,- how to play a dwarf no matter the edition. And the night will go on with out much surprises, but perhaps we will have rediscovered our first love for the game, as essential every edition for me have a promise of doing just that. Nothing is like the first fix, no matter what your drug is.

Sincerly Mal