Rolling dice on PSI

By Dydra, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

So today we got in a really stupid argue with a person in our playgroup who is sort of a try-hard.

He wants to roll dice for PSI game. As usual, he announces that 1,2 - 0c / 3,4 - 1c and 5,6 - 2c.
In those situation I do what Lucas himself suggested to do ( since according to Lucas this isn't the way PSI should be played) - and I bid 0.
If it will be 33% chance, at least I will spend 0c.

So after 5+ unsuccessful atempts on stealing my TFPs and seeing me that I obviously bid 0 every time, he comes up with that he can announce the value he bids AFTER he has made the roll. Which I know why he is saying. He wants to "bait me" into spending 0 and then say 0 regardless of the dice he rolls. That is really unfair play, so I'm asking him to decide the on the bids prior rolling.

He then comes up saying " there is no rule in the game saying that we have to bid with credits in our hands under the table".

And then I ask him " What then, if I ALSO roll a dice? What do we do then? "

A 5sec silence follows with a response " Well, then you see, we have to say prior rolling" ...

We all can see how BS that is, if the first statement that nothing makes us bid with credits under the table is true.

IF I have to really dive into the matter, I'd say that we can both use dice and then bid depending on however we see the dice ( one can decide that is 5,6 is 0c , while the other 5,6 is 1c) , then bid that amount in our hands and show it ...

Is there official ruling from FFG on rolling dice for PSI?

Edited by Dydra

The ways I have seen these blind bid cards work is as follows:

1) Grab 2 credit tokens, screen them with one hand and then secretly flip some of them over so that the credits you'll spend are represented by the number of credit-side-up tokens. When you and the runner are both done, reveal.

2) Grab 2 credits put both hands under table or behind back, place number of credits for bid in one hand and when both players are ready reveal bids simultaneously.

3) I have also seen people write down their bids, but I know in tournaments having pen a paper can be a problem as note taking is forbidden by tournament rules.

The following are links to the official FAQ and Tournament rules:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e9/49/e949d137-b885-437b-a13d-e29c12880f94/adn01_faq_eng.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/31/7c/317ce6e7-5baa-4c41-85b0-4c145aa9383c/adn_tournament_rules_20.pdf

Edited by Devon Greatwolf

Official reply from Lukas

Lukas Litzsinger

@ Quanta_Kill Yes, even if you roll dice you should physically take the credits into your hand and bid them to avoid controversy.

3:43 PM - 7 Jul 2015
Edited by Dydra

The important thing to stress here is that revelation of bids should happen simultaneously. So therefor one person does not get to reveal their bid and then the other gets to respond and possibly change their bid. This almost sounds like you are dealing with a player that maybe you can in the future you may want to try to avoid... just my $0.02.

The important thing to stress here is that revelation of bids should happen simultaneously. So therefor one person does not get to reveal their bid and then the other gets to respond and possibly change their bid. This almost sounds like you are dealing with a player that maybe you can in the future you may want to try to avoid... just my $0.02.

Exactly, it really makes no difference how you choose what credits you are secretly spending (but pure randomness sometimes isn't the optimal choice). The point is that players secretly *spend* the credits, and there should be no way for either player to go back on that decision once you find out what your opponent has spent.