Couple quick rule questions

By SoyGreen, in BattleLore

Had a GREAT time playing last night - played with a newer buddy of mine who has only really played Catan prior to this game... and he loved it as well. So much so we stayed up way too late to play "just one more game!" Anyway - we have a couple quick rule questions (I will share how we played last night) just to make sure we are playing correctly.

1. Roc Warrior and a Chaos Lord face off in the middle of the battle field - EPIC COMBAT ENSUES! The Roc Warrior attacks the Chaos Lord and does not cause a retreat - so the Chaos Lord gets a chance to counter. Here are 2 questions:

1a. The Chaos Lord rolls 2 Heroic results. Do Heroic results stack... ultimately triggering Terrify twice - causing 4 spaces of retreat? (We played that it does stack.

1b. Does the Roc Warrior still get Mobility 2 after being caused to retreat? (Mobility 2: If this unit was ordered, it may move up to 2 hexes after your Attack Step.) We assumed that the Roc Warrior still gets that ability - just wanted to be sure.

2. Riverwatch Riders and their Vigilant ability. (Vigilant: Enemy units cannot counter this unit's attacks.) Does the Vigilant ability overrule the Obscene's Ferocity ability? (Ferocity: During your opponent's Attack Step, if this unit would be forced to retreat, this unit may counter before it retreats.) We thought that the Obscene would be able to counter as the Ferocity ability is triggered in the resolution of retreats step in the steps of combat - not during the Counter step. It never came up - but I would like to know how to play it correctly in the future!

3. Darken the Skies (Order 3 archer units. During your Attack Step, each ordered archer unit that did not move during your Move Step may perform 1 additional attack.) We are 99% sure we played this right - just want to be 100% sure. If this is played on Yeoman Archers who do not move - this will stack with their Double Shot - ultimately allowing for them to have 3 attacks each that turn. Right?

4. Pretty sure we did not retreat correctly - and now that I have read it again this morning - I'm 99% sure we did it wrong last night. Wasn't game breaking regardless... but again - need to know to do it right again. Essentially Archers shoot Obscene (yellow line in picture) and we played with the Obscene retreating on the red line. But that was incorrect - because it should have retreated away from the side of the hex to which line of site "hit" (crossed through) the hex the Obscene is in. Right?

IsYMFDWl.jpg

Edited by SoylentGreen

Aloha, though I am new to the game as well I will at least try to answer some of your questions. I'm really interested to hear other ones.

1a) Heroism and all other results can be spend multiple times on the same dice ability, in your example 2 heroism could equal 4 retreat, 3 heroism equal 6 retreat etc.

2) I would argue that although ferocity allows for a counter before performing retreat it is still related to the attack performed by the Rider, and therefore not permitted.

3) Yes the archers do posses three attacks as long as they didn't move during the movement step.

4) The Obscene would have to retreat in the direction of the berserker. Retreat is always to the opposite direction the attack entered the hex from.

Great! Thanks for the replies.

In 1b - does the Roc Warrior also get his mobility?

I'm pretty sure the Roc Warrior still gets Mobility. I don't see anything in the rules that would take that away just cause he retreated.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

Thanks! (And yes - loving it.)

Any other thoughts on #2?

The Vigilant ability trumps all counters. The Obscene will never be able to use Ferocity against Riverwatch Riders.

Cool - thanks!

Just rember that "cannot" is absolute, and in case of conflicts (one card saying something, another effect assessing something contradictory) "cannot" has always the precedence. So, Vigilant trumps over Ferocity

Edited by Julia

Just rember that "cannot" is absolute, and in case of conflicts (one card saying something, another effect assessing something contradictory) "cannot" has always the precedence. So, Vigilant trumps over Ferocity

See, I had typed that in my post, but I deleted it because I can't actually find that statement in the rules. It's a very common rule for games made by FFG, but it doesn't exist in the BattleLore Second Edition Rules Reference. Do you think that line will be added to the FAQ?

I hope so! And I think at some point I've seen it written in some expansion booklet under Golden Rules, is it possible? Can't check right now