New Challenge Mode

By Pipellr, in General Discussion

Don't know if you even check this but it's worth trying.

I'm excited about the 2.0 Edition of AGoT LCG

And I got a new idea regarding the game, don't know if it's the right place to post it but anyway...

During the challenge phase instead of players doing all their challenges before the other can do theirs, why not go back and forth instead.

Let me give you an example.

Player X won initiative so he will go first.

Player X initiates a military challenge, player Y defends.

Now what if Player Y is the one who initiates the next challenge?

That way the game becomes more strategical and it's not only attacking with all you got.

Even better (but not my main idea) if playing Melee mode 3+ players

The order of play doesn't go clockwise but from the initiative on the plots

Also during the challenge phase this could help because most of the time the last player (sitting next to the first one) gets hammered by the others to farm some power.

You could even print a card that has the 3 challenge icons in order to keep count of witch one you already have done. Using the same coins or power tokens to keep track, maybe even having some card abilities affect or by affected by this "Challenge tracking card"

I hope someone could hear me out.

Cheers!

What are you trying to accomplish by posting this under every thread, related or not?

I don't think I'd like to see the changes you propose. I like the order of challenges currently.

During the challenge phase instead of players doing all their challenges before the other can do theirs, why not go back and forth instead.

Honestly, if this were to happen, I don't think the game would be AGoT anymore.

If nothing else, this turns winning initiative and being First Player into an almost meaningless thing.

That way the game becomes more strategical and it's not only attacking with all you got.

Not to be cruel or anything, but if that's your only strategy, you are missing a lot of the game. If you are attacking with all you have, you are essentially deciding it's OK for your opponent to win all of their challenges, and that winning Dominance doesn't mean anything to you. I personally think that having to plan all of your attacks and still think ahead to what you might need for defense and/or Dominance (or, conversely, planning your defense is such a way that you can still attack on the important challenge and/or take Dominance) is nothing but strategy. If the only strategy players are pursuing is "attack with all you got," I'd say they aren't exploring the strategic options available to them.

Play it the way you suggest as a local variant and see if things improve for you. And let us know how it goes. I don't think I'd like it, and I think the identity of the game would change into something largely unrecognizable for me, but I could be wrong. Maybe it would be better.

But given that we're about a month away from 2.0's release at Gencon, I wouldn't expect that to become the standard rule for 2.0 any time soon.

I'm pretty sure the ship has *literally* sailed on this idea, as 2.0 is almost certainly actually on the boat for its Gen Con release, if not already sitting safely in FFG warehouses.

Plus it's a bad idea for reasons already stated.