GenCon ?

By Rogue 4, in General Discussion

Is there any event at Gen Con being held for this game? I see there is something scheduled but there were only 6 tickets to be purchased and they are gone.

It is being released at Gencon, so there is only the one formal "introductory" tournament event (which, as I understand it, is sold out).

That said, FFG will probably have demos set up all weekend long at their booth, and might also have impromptu, "play on demand" guided games (or, long demos) in some part of their tourney area. If history means anything, there will be plenty of chances to learn and be exposed to the game as part of its release, but there will only be the one formal event that you can register for through Gencon.

Will we be able to purchase it there as well? I would assume so.

Are there any promos being given out then?

Well, it'd be a poor release if you couldn't purchase it, that's for sure! ;)

Seriously, though. Yes, you will be able to purchase it at Gencon, but it'll be an :as supplies last" kind of thing. FFG rarely "rations" their products at Gencon. If it sells out, you'll be SOL. Historically, they are out of the eagerly anticipated new release products like this by Friday, late-morning/early-afternoon.

There probably will be promos, usually alt. art promos. But whether you get them for tournament participation, demoing, purchase, etc., I couldn't begin to tell you.

Crap, I am an idiot. Of course they would have product since it is a pre-release. I thought they were just demoing it. Forgive my retardedness.....

when will normal stores be carrying it?

September-Octoberish, probably.

How many cores are you going to need to buy?

Expect three.

My buddy is going to GenCon, do you think there will be a limit to how many he can purchase? How much are each core expected to cost ($40)?

Check the product page to be sure, but I think $40 is about right.

There is likely to be a limit on how many copies someone can buy at Gencon. They were limiting Conquest to 1 per customer per day last year, I believe.

Needing 3 copies is probably a good expectation - as there will be 1 copy of most cards in the Core and the deck building limit for competitive construction is usually 3 copies. That said, you are supposed to be able to build tournament-legal decks from a single Core. No guarantees on deck quality, of course. And, all of that assumes regular competitive play. You don't necessarily need 3 copies of every card if you're only ever going to play with your friends on game night. (There is a pretty fair argument that you don't necessarily need 3 copies of every card as a tournament player, either, but that's a whole other discussion.)

When Netrunner came out 3 years ago, they sold out in a few hours, but then trucked more down from headquarters for Friday or Saturday.

From what I remember last year, I think they limited Conquest to 2 per customer.

I was able to buy 3 copies of Conquest last year at the same time but it was Saturday so I don't know that they were being as strict at that point.

I can't wait to see this in action.

They're selling two copies per customer at Gen Con.