Im curious, lets recap....

By Da_ghetto_gamer, in UFS General Discussion

So there have been alot of people opening cards in packs that shouldnt be there lately im just wondering what all these cards are and how often these things are occuring.

I just wish i was lucky enough to get something like this lol

Lets see as far as i can remember:

Pacific Gifts
Both Wonderworld assets
Kisheri
Random Black cards with white X's
White Crane
Misturugi Asset
Mini-Wheats

What else has there been?

I cracked both of the Wonderworld Assets in a box i opened today. Same box i cracked the Pacific gifts out of. Along with box toppers from other sets...

I think somebody got White Crane as well. I got the "X", personally.

Don't forget my friend that got Mitsurugi's new weapon in a pack of Tekken. And some guy got Mini-Wheats.

I still want to open something cool :(

Do you guys feel like its a good thing that these mistakes are happening or is it bad?

I think it's great, personally. It's a way for guys who don't have access to major tourneys/don't live anywhere near a decent-sized playgroup/don't have a Scout (though that will be remedied soon...) to have a chance (no matter how small) to pull some promos, and not have to shell out bigger amounts of money for them in the secondary market. I just wished it had happened to me (there's more than a few rares I'd be willing to let go of for some promos...).

I for one absolute hate it. I mean sure, it's great there's a chance you can crack zany promos, but unless this is intentional on behalf of FFG/whoever does their packaging and shipping, then the person/people in charge of said tasks should be fired on the spot for being absolutly moronic and (surpise surprise when it comes to FFG I know) not knowing how to do their jobs correctly.

The fact that someone has a championship card that the CHAMPIONS cannot get yet is revolting

LordAggro said:

I think it's great, personally. It's a way for guys who don't have access to major tourneys/don't live anywhere near a decent-sized playgroup/don't have a Scout (though that will be remedied soon...) to have a chance (no matter how small) to pull some promos, and not have to shell out bigger amounts of money for them in the secondary market. I just wished it had happened to me (there's more than a few rares I'd be willing to let go of for some promos...).

Except that it's a breach of contract (or licensing papers).

Typically mispacking like this is a result of the printing company. This sometimes can be caught by the gaming company as test batches are done (I believe)... however test batches aren't always the same as the 'real' batches. lol... silly eh?

Or yes, it could all be FFGs fault. Personally I'd rather blame canada.

While it's great that if a printing company makes a mistake, they should be fired on the spot, I have yet to see a printing company not make a mistake. Seriously, every single printing company that I have seen used for any game has screwed up somewhere along the line. And each time someone calls for the printing company's head.

What's sad is CCG companies unless they print their own cards, have to find the one who will make the fewest mistakes.

Seriously.

back in the set 8 days, Vik pulled a BRT out of a cutting edge box once.

Just the other day I opened a box of Tekken and pulled the following...

Heihachi Mishima

Jin Kazama

Bryan Fury

Steve Fox

Omar Chavez

White Crane

Kyoufu

Marius Gaius

Astrid

perfect memory

clash of the ages

the devil within

Patriot games

ancient burial site

the tablet of Gilgamesh

the peaceful way

faithful bodygaurd

heir to the storm

arrayed for battle

the newcomers

paid to protect.

I was both amused and pleasantly surprised.

I know, right? This is a good thing for the player base. I'd go as far as to suggest they include them in the standard box odds, like an alternate style of godpack (obviously we want the champs to get their cards before they do that, though; they've earned that much at least).

Antigoth said:

While it's great that if a printing company makes a mistake, they should be fired on the spot, I have yet to see a printing company not make a mistake. Seriously, every single printing company that I have seen used for any game has screwed up somewhere along the line. And each time someone calls for the printing company's head.

If it was any other promo I think we'd be ready to let it slide, figure "Hey a pack mistake, cool." and be on our merry way.

For Champion cards, you know that just shouldn't fly, however. Last I checked you were supposed to be the sole proprietor of every copy in existence, or at least that's what we've been told. The mere fact that they're showing up means one of two things :

1) The champions do not have their 500/??? copies of the card. Nothing major to the point of being shortchanged a significant amount, but to the nature of one to five.
2) They're printing more than what they should be. Whether that's the fault of FFG (who ordered a bigger print run than they should) or the printing company not being able to print a flat 500, I cannot say.

Now, I'm not a champion, nor am I likely to be one (and Antigoth knows this - I'm not part of Team Phail because I'm a good player, after all.) As much as this is awesome for the people who are not able to travel or trade online, this is still pretty **** bad looking for FFG - not because of what they promised, but because of the agreement between champion and FFG.

Homme Chapeau said:

Last I checked you were supposed to be the sole proprietor of every copy in existence, or at least that's what we've been told. The mere fact that they're showing up means one of two things :

1) The champions do not have their 500/??? copies of the card. Nothing major to the point of being shortchanged a significant amount, but to the nature of one to five.
2) They're printing more than what they should be. Whether that's the fault of FFG (who ordered a bigger print run than they should) or the printing company not being able to print a flat 500, I cannot say.

So here's the deal... as I stated in the other thread talking about this same issue.

Champion Cards are promo cards. The reason they all tend to come out together is they are all printed at the same time. They're all printed on the same sheet, with other promtional cards. The sheet is printed Several hundred times (I haven't seen an uncut sheet in a few sets, so I have no idea how many cards they're printing to a sheet currently. It can change depending on printer / set size / and other costing factors.

After the sheets are printed - they're cut.

What I can't speak to is if a machine sorts the sheets after they're cut or if a human does. Either way, one of the sheets gets mixed in with everything else while it's printing, and a mistake happens.

If you've never seen an uncut sheet before, I think I've got some shots of one or two that I have, that I'll post up if people have never seen one before.

Here are the things to remember - FFG does not have these cards randomly inserted. This is a mistake by the printer.

Please note - FFG gives all copies of the champion cards that they receive to the champions, minus some that are kept by James & Steve as producers of the game. (Which they do not distribute, but are kept for various professional reasons)

Ask the folks who have won cards via STG, and have now won a card via FFG. They have openly stated that they have received more copies of the card with FFG. There has never been a specific # given of exactly how many copies they will receive. (As far as I'm aware, feel free to correct me if someone has ever been promised a specific #) <STG was distributing more copies of the cards to all of their staff, as opposed to FFG where it is significantly more restricted.> I've heard the # is somewhere between 800-1000 copies. I don't think anyone bothers to count. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one too). So via these print screw ups, the champions are maybe loosing 1% of their print run.

Ask guys like Matt Kohls, Wes Victory, and others who still have hundreds of copies of their cards left. That 1% is really insignificant.

It's not like it's a staff member taking 50 copies and selling them to CSI when they get fired. <Not that that happened when STG closed.>

Antigoth said:

What I can't speak to is if a machine sorts the sheets after they're cut or if a human does. Either way, one of the sheets gets mixed in with everything else while it's printing, and a mistake happens.

I'm guessing it's automatic - but this is pure guesswork. Mostly because you can tell a human that if you see a card named XYZ it shouldn't be in there. A machine could make the distinction but it'd probably cost more which is something we do not want.

Antigoth said:

Please note - FFG gives all copies of the champion cards that they receive to the champions, minus some that are kept by James & Steve as producers of the game. (Which they do not distribute, but are kept for various professional reasons)

I thought it was something like that. So long as it's mentioned in the release that they're keeping some it's all good. To be fair, I'm never gonna see that release and so it's really none of my personal concern. I just like knowing how these things are handled. Call me curious or call me a conspiracy theorist.

In fact, call me that anyway because I love conspiracy theories.

Antigoth said:

Ask the folks who have won cards via STG, and have now won a card via FFG. They have openly stated that they have received more copies of the card with FFG. There has never been a specific # given of exactly how many copies they will receive. (As far as I'm aware, feel free to correct me if someone has ever been promised a specific #) <STG was distributing more copies of the cards to all of their staff, as opposed to FFG where it is significantly more restricted.> I've heard the # is somewhere between 800-1000 copies. I don't think anyone bothers to count. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one too). So via these print screw ups, the champions are maybe loosing 1% of their print run.

You're giving me intentions that just ain't there. I'm not saying the champions are getting screwed. I'm saying that they do not have all the copies of the card and that's what you've just told me. Now that I know this is the case and that it's how it's always been, it's not a case of "FFG screwed them!" (to be chanted ala you know what) - it's a case of getting that information out so the freakout is limited to the people who ALWAYS freak the hell out. You know who I mean (and this is tongue in cheek as well). I don't get the chance to go to events all that often and the event I always make an effort to go to is the one FFG doesn't, so any news or information about how things work I can grab is news (but this is another thing entirely).

I suspected it wasn't FFG's fault - they don't print in house, and honestly I've seen the works of the two bigger printers over here (Quebecor World, which went under before being bought and ressurected and Transcontinental, for those who're wondering. To the point where Quebecor Media wasn't even using Quebecor World to print their stuff) and yeah... screwing up is part of the job way too often.

There's some stuff I'm gonna blame FFG for - you know this. When it's not their fault, it's just not their fault, and to all of you who are quick on the "I haet FFG" bandwagon, you gotta pick your battles because this one is a losing one. And yes, it's a bandwagon. A bandwagon I may have helped get underway, but still a bandwagon, one that I'm slowly falling away from.

The specific number, IIRC, was pulled out of VERY EARLY STG things that I can't exactly prove at the moment. I just remember them off the top of my head. Knowing how the printers' work, it surprises me in retrospect how they could say the exact number. I shoulda known.

Homme Chapeau said:

Antigoth said:

I'm guessing it's automatic - but this is pure guesswork. Mostly because you can tell a human that if you see a card named XYZ it shouldn't be in there. A machine could make the distinction but it'd probably cost more which is something we do not want.

As an aside - when I was at Gencon this year I had the hankering to crack a couple of boxes of the old highlander CCG. (and at $11 per box for A&T and Fourhorsemen expansions, I really couldn't say no.) So I ripped open the box, had a geek-gasm from opening packs that are like 15 years old, and it some how feeling like the set had just come out... resulting in a pile of cards from the booster box.

My girlfriend who has played highlander many years ago, was kind enough to offer to help me sort the cards. What was interesting (and drawing it back into the conversation), was that her recollection of the game made it almost as if she was touching it for the first time, and there were some very interesting mis-sorts that happened, despite the instructions that were given.

So whether it's a machine, or a person, mis-sorts can happen.

Homme Chapeau said:

Call me curious or call me a conspiracy theorist.

Homme Chapeau said:

In fact, call me that anyway because I love conspiracy theories.

Funny that you said that.... you weren't reading my mind were you?

Homme Chapeau said:

You're giving me intentions that just ain't there. I'm not saying the champions are getting screwed. I'm saying that they do not have all the copies of the card and that's what you've just told me.

Keep in mind when I write answers to stuff like this, I try to address as wide an audience as possible, and while you may not have had those intentions, we both know there are folks on these forums who do, and I'd regret not including the minor details.

Homme Chapeau said:

I've seen the works of the two bigger printers over here (Quebecor World, which went under before being bought and ressurected and Transcontinental, for those who're wondering. To the point where Quebecor Media wasn't even using Quebecor World to print their stuff) and yeah... screwing up is part of the job way too often.

Dude!

If you've dealt with Quebecor, then you know far more horror stories that should be added to my previous list of "Horrific Printing Issues"

And sadly ... issues with printers are not limited to only one printer. Each of the horror stories I listed previously each came from a different printer.

Antigoth said:

Dude!

If you've dealt with Quebecor, then you know far more horror stories that should be added to my previous list of "Horrific Printing Issues"

And sadly ... issues with printers are not limited to only one printer. Each of the horror stories I listed previously each came from a different printer.

Dealt, no. Heard the horror stories? Knowing how the empire handles their stuff? Yes. I have. It is awful.

Also I CAN READ YOUR MIND­. It is my power as the nicest ******* you ever met.