Statting out Darth Vader

By Corradus, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

I feel like people are making Vader far stronger than he should be.

Truly he is a human who as lost his 4 limbs. They were replaced by cybernetics.

This is my take of Vader.

Brawn 3 Agility 3 Intelligence 2 Cunning 3 Willpower 3 Presence 2

A Trandoshan and a Wookiee start out with 3 of strength. Why would Vader be so much more stronger than those two species. Also, he has lost his 4 limbs. This event would bring him back to Brawn 2 and Agility 2. Since he is stronger than he was when he was Anakin, the cybernetic arms give him a +1 of Brawn. His legs would give him +1 Agility.

He is human after all. Not a super power god of the nether realm of the Force. But still, he is unusually strong in the Force. I would give him a free +1 Force rating.

I would make him an Artisan, then a Shien Expert, and finally a Starship Ace but only until he is defeated by Obi-Wan. Then, he is dressed in a suit which has no super power except for a kind of surviving device. Once he is in the suit, I would trade Artisan for Aggressor, to express his evolution into the Sith. Anyhow, at that point, wouldn't it be weird to see him working on his starship with a ratchet.

Edited by Qbcker
2 hours ago, Qbcker said:

since the characters can only have three specializations.

Where is this a thing ?

43 minutes ago, Darzil said:

Where is this a thing ?

It isn't. This was a rule from back when EotE was in beta, but it was quickly scrapped.

4 hours ago, Qbcker said:

I feel like people are making Vader far stronger than he should be.

Truly he is a human who as lost his 4 limbs. They were replaced by cybernetics.

This is my take of Vader.

Brawn 3 Agility 3 Intelligence 2 Cunning 3 Willpower 3 Presence 2

Willpower 4 or 5, more likely 5. Presence arguably better than average too. The others I’m ok with.

His stats are in the Dawn of Rebellion book. You can just ramp it up or down from there as needed.

I would definitely add the "Aggressor" spec to Vader - I think that's the one. It focuses on unnerving and terrifying opponents. Watching the end sequence of "Rogue One" pretty much confirms, this, IMO. :)

Also, holding a grown man off the ground with one hand should definitely qualify as a higher Brawn than 3, I would think. Probably more like 4 - 5, but that would almost certainly be part of his armour.

8 hours ago, Daronil said:

Also, holding a grown man off the ground with one hand should definitely qualify as a higher Brawn than 3, I would think. Probably more like 4 - 5, but that would almost certainly be part of his armour.

Enhance Force Power.

24 minutes ago, nameless ronin said:

Enhance Force Power.

Yeah, maybe. I just think we see Vader do his Force-choking thing often enough without actually grabbing his quarry by the throat. Achilles' murder seemed more...I dunno...visceral. I admit there's no real evidence either way, but it just seemed to me that Vader was physically holding him off the ground. I always assumed Vader had an element of "power armour" in his armour.

14 minutes ago, Daronil said:

Yeah, maybe. I just think we see Vader do his Force-choking thing often enough without actually grabbing his quarry by the throat. Achilles' murder seemed more...I dunno...visceral. I admit there's no real evidence either way, but it just seemed to me that Vader was physically holding him off the ground. I always assumed Vader had an element of "power armour" in his armour.

I’d think force users would largely eschew that kind of thing. If you can lift an X-Wing with the Force, why use something as inelegant as powered armor?

21 minutes ago, nameless ronin said:

I’d think force users would largely eschew that kind of thing. If you can lift an X-Wing with the Force, why use something as inelegant as powered armor?

Possibly. It may not be the armour that is powered - it may well be that his bionic limbs are stronger, and we can see in the "x-ray" shots when Palpatine is blasting him with lightning that many of his joints are artificial as well.

Though I am usually in the "statting out Vader is not a good idea" camp, I really like what I see here. After all, you'll need some references ready when you face him either way.

Thankfully, nobody's going to argue throwing as many fear dice in the check as is necessary to make killing him virtually impossible. The system allows us a way out here that I really love: He can live off of his reputation as an absolute beast, meaning he's basically murderous Lightsaber Batman.

23 hours ago, Alisair Longreach said:

Here is some disgusting but interesting fact about Dart Vaders suit https://www.cbr.com/facts-darth-vaders-suit/ .

It'd be a nice article if it didn't contradict things we see in the movies and, you know, itself .