New Gm, help! WFRP 3 Edition.

By Tali, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Im going to have my first sesion with 4 players in about two days. My group is totaly new to the game, and just two of them likes to Read, and have read alot of the rules.. Im the only one who has been doing this since i was a little girl, and knows about how the world is.

Until now i have helpt every one making their characters. I have one Barbersurgeon, Initiate of Taal, Preformer and a boatsmen on my team. I have played a little with everyone to learn them the rules of the game. And have started them on a misson were my boyfriend, the Initiate of Taal have meet a lot of people on the road, when he has been sent on a mission from the priest, that is about checking out a rumor about some bleeding tree, in case of corruption. he has meet them all, but they have just met him so far. He and two of the others have gotten a desise from a river that flows nearby the tree the rumor is about. This they do not know.

But here comes my quation. How not to take water over their heads to start with? Should i use Nurgol, or Sould i wite until they have becomed more comfterbal with the game? I dont want to trow everything at them at once. Upthil now they have just met animals like boars, and wolfes and one insect swarm. But i do not want to loose their entention or interest either. So far they have told me that they think it is fun, and that they are looking forward to the playing day.... But i need some advice!

HELP ME!

Hug from Norwagen girl. (Sorry for the bad english! :) )

Adventures should be like onions. You peel one layer off at a time and that reveals one clue at a time. That pulls them deeper and deeper into the plot.

I like your bleeding tree adventure idea.

I recommend that you run the adventure in the GM's guide (either the boxed set or the hardcover). You also have the DAY LATE, SHILLING SHORT download free PDF adventure.

This is how I would build the adventure from here (example):

Current situation: Two are diseased. They are on a mission from the priest.

Encounter 1: Start the next adventure with some action: They are on the side of the road and a pedlar comes by to sell them some food or something. he doesn't look well. he says he was drinking from the river. During the conversation, 4 pestigors attack. A pestigor is a Gor or Ungor with disease (the rules for them are in the Liber Infectus..or just make ungor with disease). Say that they are covered in some odd blood or that their water jugs on their belts are leaking some odd colored water that smells bad.

Encounter 2: The group follows the river and finds some sickened peasants and dead/dying animals. They could question the peasants. The initiate of Taal could examine the bodies of the animals and see a bad omen (give him a bonus white to a future roll if he succeeds on his Piety check).

Encounter 3: They continue further along the river. Some diseased animals attack.

Encounter 4: They find that two smaller trees have become infected and they must deal with those first. Each has some kind of nurgle guardian.

Encounter 5: They follow the river further up stream where there is a beaver dam. This has caused the polluted water to begin to flood the countryside. They must deal with this.

Encounter 6: Farther up the river, there are pestigor beastmen and mutants doing a dance. The group can either fight or try to sneak around them.

Encounter 7: The group gets to the bleeding tree and fights a Chaos Warrior.

Encounter 8: Just as they figure out how to destroy the tree, the tree speaks and claims innocence and pleads not to be chopped down. This could be a ruse, or it could be true, which could lead them to needing to find an elven stone and elf treesinger to cleanse the tree of the nurgle magic.

You can also try the automatic adventure generator if you are looking for new ideas: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167876/wfrp%20stuff/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Generator/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Output%201.7.xlsx

Type F9 or change a cell to change the adventure.

Best of luck!

Jay

Sorry about my Norwegian, it has been a few generations since my ancestors moved from there :)

Next, don't forget to add 2 special situations per character per game.

Examples:

Boatman - river, water, boat, current of the river, quality of the water, checking the fish of the water; give him a row boat somewhere in the adventure

Performer - make a check to keep the group entertained and keep up morale, reduce stress; understand if someone is acting or telling a lie to the group

Initiate - he can check the health of the animals, check the behavior of animals, perform religious duties for the group, which may change their stress or give them a bonus to a future stress check

Barbersurgeon: checks for disease, healing, and cleanliness of the group - alter their disease checks with white or black dice based on his successes

Give out fortune points liberally and have them use their fortune points often!

We allow you to use fortune points after you roll. That encourages people to do more heroic things.

Best,

Jay

Thank you for all the good advice! I really appreciate it. More relaxed now that I've gotten lots of extremely good ideas to put to play!!
I think i have decided to juce many of the Encounters. And i did realy appreciate that with 2 special situations pr character. I had not Thought about that!

Im t hinking that the "blood" that the rumors have been discussed, is sap leaking from the tree, and flows into the river.

I will give a heads up on how things turn out!

Again thank you!!

Great advice Emirikol.

I will chime in and say "Eye for an Eye" from the main set is a great starting adventure if you need something more later. But it sounds like you have a really great start!

Make the fortune flow like a stream, it makes the game more engaging and fun.

The first roleplay went very well. I have deliberately chosen not to use some of the stories that have already been made ​​. Bit because of my uncertainty on the interest some of the members og the group have for the game . I know the one girl in the group is realy interested , and also my boyfriend. But the two others I'm somewhat uncertain. They seem to get a bit bored every time someone eles is in the spotlight... But everyone has to get their bit.. So...

Much of the roleplay went to that the players became familiar with each other and each other's characters . Many of them have never ever talked before that day. But they did realy impresse with the RPG. One of them was even over skype! And it went realy well, without some smal tecnical problems. They found the path that led them in the correct direction, where this man tried to sell them some ****. He was discribed to be realy sick. The boatman refused to look at him, at the initiate tried to say in a polite way that he was not interested. The barber serguan notist his drinking bottle... When they talked to the man, Bestman ambushed them, and it became a good fight where everybody felt they did something good. The Hobbit made alot of smart moves, like jusing here acrobatics to trip them and stuff. Than after beating them, i made the sick man idolise them. And he nearly trhow himselvf into the boatmans arms (he was closest to him) And
It ended with that BS hit the boatman in the face, when aiming for the sick man, and a little bit of conflict started.
After a while they found the boat and drove down the river , and a lot of drama started. One av the characters fell into the water and became even sicker , and another was lying and hallucinate after he struck his hed into one of the sails (Two chos stars, and alredy hallucinating becouse of the disease .] Only the hobbit and boatman stays awake , and it ended with a crash , and they had to rescue the two others from drowning . Eventually they woke up and now they are not sure where they are, and the boat are broken, and they have to travel tru the forest.

Again sorry for my bad english, hope it is understandable :D

And thanks for every great advice!

One way to help keep players in the spotlight more often is to have everyone help interpret the dice pool. Ask players what they think good or bad results might mean that they feel like they can contribute more often.

One of my favourite GM advice is here:

http://www.gamemastering.info/

There are some very good ideas and intentions written, and its a free PDF.