What does the app actually change ?

By Vol3rd, in XCOM: The Board Game

Hello guys,

I am a french fellow, new to the FFG forums. I am currently doing some research on "hybrid" board games for my master's thesis. XCOM is one of the rare exception I found that could meet this qualification. I got the idea to have a quick survey from people that played the game to see how they feel about the addition of an app in the board game. This should take about 5 minutes to fill in, even if that reaches a few of you, that'd be awesome.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i-VNzpQ0yXrKw3fjznBSSGpw0Opp0zdLJBl0dUErGF4/viewform?usp=send_form

Thanks a lot in advance !

Edited by Vol3rd

Link doesn't work...

Hello, it should work now.

Thanks a lot for those of you who have participated so far. I'm keeping the form online for yet another week, I hope to have some more participants but it's already cool to have your answers !

You could (and should) try looking at Alchemists for another (better?) use of an app.

Hi, I'll have a look at Alchemists, you're not the first one to mention it to me. I'm not quite sure the app is translated into french (not a problem for me but a problem for some of the ppl I play with).

Is your thesis paper looking at any historical hybrid games and the evolution of the genre? Or is it strictly about games that incorporate modern smartphone apps?

I'm thinking of older games like AtmosFear and that version of Clue that sent your phone text messages periodically. Depending on your definition of the word "hybrid" that could make for some very interesting analysis of games that tried to think "outside the box." (No pun intended.)

OK, the pun was intended. :P

Edited by Steve-O