Dungeon Crawler Jack's Dragon Expansion Custom Rules

By Dungeon Crawler Jack, in Talisman Home Brews

Well! I realise the Strange Eons plug in isn't with us just yet, but you will need to be able to mock up your own cards to play these rules.

This is an attempt to solve the things I personally didn't love about the Dragon Expansion (and I know many people have all their own dislikes about it too, this is just another variation you might want to use.

When I unboxed I immediately got excited thinking there might be a dragon miniature in here, then discovered it was the Dragon Rider. Oh well. And when I played, I quickly got frustrated by how much placing Dragon Scales held up the game. One final thing, good lord there is enough spaces on the board already I don't want to create a new region .

So, I thought "Why reinvent the wheel?". I took this idea from the Event Dark Denizens from the Dungeon expansion, because I love love LOVE the dragon decks, but I wanted them better integrated into the main game. So I created 3 new cards for the Adventure Deck.

Vathrax Rally: Event. For 3 rounds draw from the Vathrax deck in this region.
Cadorus Tribune: Event. For 3 rounds draw from the Cadorus deck in this region.
Grilipus Envoy: Event. For 3 rounds draw from the Grilipus deck in this region.

I have 5 copies of each, so I can dial up or dial down the amount of these cards in the adventure deck depending on how involved I want the Dragon decks to be in the game. I recommend 3 of each, they'll be pretty common, but not too invasive.

Secondly, I wanted to make more of the rivalry between the Draconic Lords, so they no longer contest over the Inner Region, instead they are each associated with one of the corner regions-

Cadorus with the Dungeon, Vathrax with the Highlands and Grilipus with the Woodland. And likewise, each of the decks have a couple of my new adventure cards (above) to them, 2 each.

BUT ALSO

One card in each deck called 'Cadorus Rises' or 'Vathrax Rises' or 'Grilipus Rises' respectively. When this is drawn, place the Dragon NPC figure (yes you'll need a few of these models too, sorry, did I not mention how cool that is?) and draw the Draconic Lord card and give him his 5 lives. Cadorus starts at the Monster Pit, Vathrax at the Lost City and Grilipus at the Mystic Glen. Their objective is to visit each of these 6 locations to rally their followers:

1) Wharf

2) Warlock's Cave

3) Portal of Power

4) Mystic Glen

5) Lost City

6) Monster Pit

When the Draconic Lord is placed roll a D6 and place a facedown Dragon Scale on the selected location. When he reaches this space, record he has reached it and roll for another, if he rolls a space he has already visited, choose the closest low he hasn't yet visited.

Dragon Forces Rallied: If he visits all 6 locations he teleports back to his start space and the whole region draws dragon cards from that Deck until he is killed. Once he has achieved this, he can only be removed from the board by being killed, neither will he roll for movement any further. Players encountering this start space must ignore all instructions on this space and fight the Draconic Lord as though he were on the Crown of Command.

Draconic Lord Movement: after every character has had one turn, roll 2 D6 and combine the total to see how much he moves. If he rolls double, that double number is how many spaces ahead of his direction are affected by his dragon rage. If he lands on a character, he attacks that character with Strength when the Draconic Lord has the greatest advantage with this and Craft when when the Draconic Lord has the greatest advantage with this. When a Draconic Lord moves away from a space he leaves a Dragon Scale of his colour on that space, characters encountering that space must then draw from that deck in that space (if there are no instructions to draw cards, draw one card). Draconic Lords may only cross the STorm River at the Sentinel, who does not attack them.

Removing the Draconic Lord from the game: Before the Draconic Lord Rallies his Dragon Forces, he may be banished by discarding a Talisman a character holds, a character may do this when he encounters the Draconic Lord on a space, or just before a Draconic Lord is about to engage them in battle or psychic combat. Once a Draconic Lord has Rallied his Dragon Forces, he can only be removed from the game by killing him. Once he is killed, the region reverts back to its normal deck, but face up cards from that Dragon Deck remain in play.

If a character kills a Draconic Lord he may claim 1 Talisman, 1 random Quest Reward, 1 random Destiny and 1 Treasure card of his choice.

A rival Draconic Lord: if another Draconic Lord rises whilst there is one still on the board, Draconic Lords who have not Rallied their Dragon forces race to the other Dragon to attack them (or use Dragon rage as their movement allows). When roaming Draconic Lords encounter one another, they battle with the attackers best advantage and the Lord attack loses a life if they lose or have a stand off. Any Draconic Lord affected by the Dragon Rage of another Draconic Lord must immediately lose one life.

(I really love dragons so I kind of went to town on this, I'll report the playability enjoy!)

Edited by Dungeon Crawler Jack

I also created a few of these style of Event cards for the Tunnel, Bridge and Nether Deck.

Woodland:
1 x ' Spawn of the void ': Event. - Subtract your craft from 12 and add one face-down nether card per space clockwise from this space, if this trail may enter another region, it must do so. Any face up cards in this trail are discarded.

City:
1 x ' Spawn of the void ': Event. - Subtract your craft from 12 and add one face-down nether card per space clockwise from this space, if this trail may enter another region, it must do so. Any face up cards in this trail are discarded.
1 x ' Backstreets ': Event. - Draw 5 cards from the Bridge Deck and place them face down on top of the City Deck.
1 x ' Darkest Hour ': Event - Draw 5 cards from the Tunnel Deck and place them face down on top of the City Deck.

Adventure Deck:
2 x ' Spawn of the void ': Event. - Subtract your craft from 12 and add one face-down nether card per space clockwise from this space, if this trail may enter another region, it must do so. Any face up cards in this trail are discarded.

The Nether Deck cards I'm still going add more too, but the Backstreets and Darkest Hour cards will join my custom Deep Realms in a Homebrew I call 'City Underbelly'.

I need to digest this more, but it looks interesting.

I really like this concept!

I'm thinking about ways to perhaps simplify it further, I'll have a think and post some thoughts in the future. One small point though, it's Varthrax, not Vathrax.

Oh noooes! Somebody take away some of my gamerpoints :wacko: I got the canon wrong :( oh God why

Bit of an update, I now recommend all 5 copies of the Adventure Deck card for those of you with all the expansions, just because by then, the Adventure Deck is enormous.

i like the concept, however, I saw on your listings " A rival Draconic Lord: if another Draconic Lord rises whilst there is one still on the board, Draconic Lords who have not Rallied their Dragon forces race to the other Dragon to attack them (or use Dragon rage as their movement allows). When roaming Draconic Lords encounter one another, they battle with the attackers best advantage and the Lord attack loses a life if they lose or have a stand off. Any Draconic Lord affected by the Dragon Rage of another Draconic Lord must immediately lose one life."

Does this mean you might be expanding the Draconian lords beyond the original 3?

i like the concept, however, I saw on your listings " A rival Draconic Lord: if another Draconic Lord rises whilst there is one still on the board, Draconic Lords who have not Rallied their Dragon forces race to the other Dragon to attack them (or use Dragon rage as their movement allows). When roaming Draconic Lords encounter one another, they battle with the attackers best advantage and the Lord attack loses a life if they lose or have a stand off. Any Draconic Lord affected by the Dragon Rage of another Draconic Lord must immediately lose one life."

Does this mean you might be expanding the Draconian lords beyond the original 3?

Hi mate, no, this rule is intended to deal with if say, 'Grilipus Rises' is drawn from the Woodland Deck but Varthrax is already on the board. There's nowhere else for a Draconian Lord to rule over, so the original 3 are just right.