Monsters attacking from obstacles or from activated glyphs possible?

By Scaldor, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello everybody,

so, I tried hard to find my question answered already somewhere in the vast number of this forum, but to tell the truth I didn´t find anything, although the FAQ helped a lot with some other problems.

In our Descent group - in Germany by the way ;) - we´ve had a discussion about the situation mentioned in the headline of this topic.

A razorwing wanted to enter an activated glyph to attack a hero and the errata say that monsters can pass activated glyphs and they can attack figures standing on them, but what about holding there for an attack on an adjacent field?

And can a flying figure attack while being over a water hole or over rubbage(?) [was that the English word? You know, that one-field sized piece of stone, counting as an obstacle and blocking line of sight :P ] and then go on moving into a free space?

In the core rules it´s only said that it´s not possible to attack from a field, on which another figure (friendly or hostile) is standing already. Does this count for obstacles like water and rocks and activated glyphs (in cases of monsters) as well?

Thanks a lot for your answers and as I said I was trying hard to find an answer in here already, but I didn´t find anything. :(

First, the word you were looking for is "rubble".

I think the glyph attack is okay, as long as the monster doesn't end his movement there. I don't think the rubble / water attack is okay, but I might get corrected on that. I've never played it that way, personally.

My group has always played as though the figure may pause over those obstacles to make an attack provided it does NOT, as you said, end it's movement there. We rule Glyphs the same way.

Related, is it possible for a monster to attack while passing thru the same space as another monster? The difference of course being that friendly figures do not block movement, but you cannot "end your movement" there. It will come down to, I think, how each group defines "end ones movement". Is movement ended when a unit pauses to make an attack or to "do" something (drink a potion? change equipped items?) or is it's movement only ended at the end of it's complete turn? I lean toward the latter, and ones movement is not ended until all MPs are exhaused, or the declared end of the unit's turn.

Example - you have 2 MP left, and 1 Vitality potion. The 2 spaces in a hallway directly in front of you are blocked by friendly figures.

Obviously yes, you could drink the potion, then move forward, but you are sacrificing 1 MP to do so.

Could you move forward, temporarily end your movement in the same space as a fellow hero. Then while stopped there, drink a potion, then continue onwards? If the answer to this is yes, then I think that temporary ends to movement do not count, and only the final "end".

"End your movement" has been officially clarified to mean "you're not moving any more this turn." There is no question about what that means.

I can find no rule that would prevent a monster from making an attack while standing on a glyph or an obstacle.

Figures are prohibited from making an attack while in the same space as another figure, however. "Figures may pass through spaces occupied by friendly figures during movement, but they cannot attack while in the same space as another figure and they must end their movement in an empty space." (JitD p.9) The fact that this gives separate restrictions for not attacking and for not ending your move also reinforces that pausing to make an attack doesn't count as ending your movement.

I don't know why I always interpreted the rules as merely indicating that flying creatures / characters could ignore obstacles such as rubble for movement purposes only. This certainly increases the usefulness / flexibility of a razorwing.

Ahh... "rubble". Yes, that was it. Thanks a bunch. ;)

Yeah, indeed the confusing thing about this is that it´s impossible to attack from a space with a figure in there as it has been quoted in here, but there´s obviously nothing explained, if the same rule counts towards rubble, water holes and whatever.

Until now we usually played the way that it´s only allowed to attack, if the creature is standing on a free space, but the possibility of attacking from rubble seriously gives some fine new opportunities for flying monsters. Or has it been just forgotten that it´s not allowed?

Thanks for the given answers. Good to hear that we didn´t make a total newbie mistake, which could be solved easily by reading the rulebook more carefully. :P

Scaldor said:

Ahh... "rubble". Yes, that was it. Thanks a bunch. ;)

Yeah, indeed the confusing thing about this is that it´s impossible to attack from a space with a figure in there as it has been quoted in here, but there´s obviously nothing explained, if the same rule counts towards rubble, water holes and whatever.

Until now we usually played the way that it´s only allowed to attack, if the creature is standing on a free space, but the possibility of attacking from rubble seriously gives some fine new opportunities for flying monsters. Or has it been just forgotten that it´s not allowed?

Thanks for the given answers. Good to hear that we didn´t make a total newbie mistake, which could be solved easily by reading the rulebook more carefully. :P

There are three ways to be in a space that is otherwise impassable.
While Flying, with Acrobat skill and while Soaring (RtL outdoors only).
Everyone is always restricted from attack while in the same space as another figure. This is a general rule (pg9).
Fly-ers are not restricted from attacking except by the general rule (ie not while sharing a space with another figure).
Acrobats are specifically restricted from attacking while in a space that contains an obstacle that blocks movement as well as restricted from attacking while sharing a space with another figure (from the Acrobat description).
Soar-ers ignore terrain entirely while soaring (see RtL pg 30)so are restricted only by the general rule about sharing the same space with other figures.

so a razorwing could fly to a rubble square attack the hero hiding behind it and then continue to land in a clear square, but a beast man cannot climb onto the rubble attack the hero then climb off and move to a clear square.

That would make sense and make razorwings a bit more useful.