Backpack and carry weight

By Rese, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

There is a big problem in my group games (maybe because ussually we interchange for GM'ing role) with carry weight and backpack.

by RAW "A personal carrying device can take many forms, but is usually some kind of bag with attached straps for ease of carrying. A backpack can usually carry approximately 50 kilograms."

We do not agree on this definition. Whose right it is?

For example PC have SB=3 and TB=3, so he can carry 36kg and have a backpack. what is total carry weight?

1) it does not extend carry weight capability --- total is 36kg

2) it halves the weight of items in backpack (house rule) --- total is 36kg but some items have their weight halved.

3) it adds flat carry weight --- total is 36kg + 50kg = 86 kg

In my opinion this should be 3). I looked into other rulebooks (rogue trader and others..) and it seems it works like 3).

Also, comparing with computer RPG games, there are lots of examples where you carry so many things, that normaly you woul need a car to carry them. Moreover, this is not a real life and there are lots of looting. Please help me.

Seems to me #1 is the most logical. The character cannot carry more than his maximum weight limit. The 50kg limit merely is the limits of what a backpack can carry, so that if you end up with a character that carries more than 50kg, then they have to find other ways of carrying that stuff.

Moreover, this is not a real life and there are lots of looting. Please help me.

It seems a relatively general consensus that looting is /not/ a huge thing in Dark Heresy. Not that it doesn't happen at all, but certainly not to the extent that it would occur in D&D. My own group has run for over a year now, with characters that have gone from rank 1 to presently, almost rank 7, and the collective loot we've accumulated would probably amount to less than 20 kg, and most of that would have been in the Heavy Stubber an NPC follower tore out and used for awhile.

So looting seriously is not a big thing. Remember the men you would be looting from are generally either heretics (thus their weapons and gear are "tainted" by their heresy in the eyes of the Inquisition), Xenos (in which using their equipment is an affront to the Machine Spirit and Imperium laws), or Chaos (in which it's a REALLY bad idea to try looting their stuff).

If your characters are trying to loot, it might be prudent to ask them (in character), why they're looting. Do they feel the heretic's weapons are better than their own? Afterall, the heretics were using them and it didn't stop your PC's killing them. Do they need the money? What for? Your group's supplied by the Inquisition, you have what you need.

Edited by ColArana

I think this is 1) & 4 ) backpack can be loaded up to 50 kg before it breaks.

Edited by Jargal

I agree with the above answers in that the backpack should not extend the weight a PC can carry, but rather the ease of carrying and a means of storage for items which you may not always want to carry in hand or is too big for a PC's pockets.

For example, your Tech PC finds a component which is needed to repair an ancient Template Construct, but it is too unwieldy for any of the team to carry in their arms and the easiest solution is to plop it into a backpack for later retrieval...

For example, in Dark Heresy Second edition it says

"

These personal carrying items can range from containers of heavy cloth to elaborate, body-conforming devices with internal bracing for comfort. They all allow the wearer to transport roughly 30 kg of extra weight, but removing an object from the pack requires a Full Action. Only one backpack or combat vest can be worn at a time. "

I think this word "extra" means your carry weight increases by 30kg.

I would like to ask developers about this. How can I do it?

What about powerred exoskeleton backpack which could carry flat 50kg but you would need some charge packs to power it ? how long a charge pack should hold?

For example, in Dark Heresy Second edition it says

"

These personal carrying items can range from containers of heavy cloth to elaborate, body-conforming devices with internal bracing for comfort. They all allow the wearer to transport roughly 30 kg of extra weight, but removing an object from the pack requires a Full Action. Only one backpack or combat vest can be worn at a time. "

I think this word "extra" means your carry weight increases by 30kg.

I would like to ask developers about this. How can I do it?

What about powerred exoskeleton backpack which could carry flat 50kg but you would need some charge packs to power it ? how long a charge pack should hold?

DH2 has changed and altered a number of things from the core game (the existence of a combat vest alone, being one such example). It's not bad to look at for a reference point, but DH1 and 2 are very different games.

As far as contacting FFG about a rules question, go to the main page, go to "Contact Us", and click the link that shows up.

I would say that you can carry the 30 kg or about 65 lbs and after that it effects the pc's movement, attacks and etc.

Dark Heresy 2 achieves a middle ground. "They all allow the wearer to transport roughly 30 kg of

extra weight, but removing an object from the pack requires a Full
Action. Only one backpack or combat vest can be worn at a time."

Dark Heresy 2 achieves a middle ground. "They all allow the wearer to transport roughly 30 kg of

extra weight, but removing an object from the pack requires a Full
Action. Only one backpack or combat vest can be worn at a time."

I understand why they would limit for game balance for only 1, but honestly you can carry a backpack and combat vest.

And DH1 has it's combat vest, the Weapon/Gear Storage from IH but only allow 15kgs

I understand why they would limit for game balance for only 1, but honestly you can carry a backpack and combat vest.

You can even carry two backpacks and combat vest (or backpack, vest & parachute) but IRL backpack don't remove the weight of objects .