New Melee Titles!

By Bomb, in General Discussion

Something that has been an open question that people really ought to appreciate: they seem to be taking steps to make sure that the first edition figurines remain relevant and useable!

Hand of the King--Metal Hand on the card, big metal fist on the figurine.
Crown Regent--It's a crown. End of story.
Master of Coin--big bag of money, matches the chest of gold just fine.
Master of Laws--curled antique book matches the curled antique parchment.

Master of Whispers--they chose artwork of a dagger. Very clever match to the figurine.
Master of Ships--the new Military icon is very similar to the old Lord Commander figurine. Coincidence? I think not!

Oddities that remain a source of concern: The Master of Whispers card in the support wheel has different art. I hope they keep the dagger, but if not, it's not a huge deal. Daggers and Serpents are very Intrigueish.

Also, does it seem to anyone else that the cards have an odd H:W ratio? Makes me wonder if they'll be printed on cardboard or cardstock.

I didn't notice. Also, what's cardstock?

I didn't notice. Also, what's cardstock?

Are they going to be cards or are they going to be oversized tokens punched out from the same sheet of cardboard as the power and gold tokens?

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_stock )

Edited by Grimwalker

Also, what's cardstock?

Short answer: cardstock is the heavy paper they print cards on. It can have any number of thicknesses, weights, etc. (everything from business cards to playing cards).

Oddities that remain a source of concern: The Master of Whispers card in the support wheel has different art. I hope they keep the dagger, but if not, it's not a huge deal. Daggers and Serpents are very Intrigueish.

Also, does it seem to anyone else that the cards have an odd H:W ratio? Makes me wonder if they'll be printed on cardboard or cardstock.

They are cards. Same size.

Cheers!

Isn't anybody else worried about what role will the Night's Watch play in this? They are sworn not to take part in the wars of the noble houses and are not allowed to hold titles! I really expected they would come up with some original mechanism for the Night's Watch, but apparently they will just select their titles from the same pool as everybody else.

Isn't anybody else worried about what role will the Night's Watch play in this?

Nope. :P

Isn't anybody else worried about what role will the Night's Watch play in this? They are sworn not to take part in the wars of the noble houses and are not allowed to hold titles! I really expected they would come up with some original mechanism for the Night's Watch, but apparently they will just select their titles from the same pool as everybody else.

Two ways one might look at this from a Nedly perspective:

1) If you're controlling a mixed deck, it can be reasonably assumed that the Night's Watch is being influenced in some way by the other faction. In the lore, Stannis is still deeply invested in the game of thrones when he pushes the Watch to grant him authority over them. Similarly, House Stark presumably owes much of its dominance in the North to its close association with the Night's Watch, despite ostensibly being a separate faction.

2) While the Watch is not permitted to take part in noble affairs, it is still very much a lord's duty to support them with whatever resources can be spared. Perhaps you the player are not personally a member of the Night's Watch, but someone who has agreed to do for them what is necessary down in King's Landing. Given the above point, though, this flavor is really only necessary if you are running the Night's Watch as a single-faction deck.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/26/on-the-tourney-ground/

It looks like they revamped titles and how they are selected. I love the idea that they are now chosen in secret and that one is not available from the get go.

The link is broken for some reason.

Hmm. It still worked for me just now. Maybe their article's source was down for some time.