Dumb OLs???

By Wulfgar61, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

My game group just recently starting playing RTL, and based on everything I have read we are having a much different experience from the rest of the community. The first time we played we had the following:

OL Avatar: Spider Queen, Heroes (Skills): Runewitch (Telekenisis), Nanok (Weapon Master), Grey Ker (Acrobat) and Runehand (Wild Talent). WE hadn't read the FAW so allowed Telekenisis though I don't believe that decided the outcome by anymeans. We started out quickly blitzing several dungeons and were able to get upgraded dice and skills early. We eventually chased off Sir Alric and the OL threw in the towel around 51-17 in Conquest.

Our second go is already off to a similar start.

OL Avatar: Sorceror King, Heroes (Skills): Nanok (Cleave), One Fist (Battle Cry), Varikas (Prodigy), Kirga (Eagle Eye). We have only completed Starfell, but we had an incredibly easy run at it. We hit the Monasary and kept 5 villagers alive with ne hero deaths. we then ran the Gauntlet and again all heroes survived, and lastly we ran into a Trial By Fire. We killed the Hell Hound and bolted for the door. So all told we have 18 Conquest (1 exploring + 5 villagers + 3 glyph +2 boss + 3 glyph + 4 boss) and no player deaths. We did resist a Dark Charm and had 4 surges rolled against a Crushing Block and several X results on Ferrox attacks, but it seems our OLs are having a rough go at it.

My question is if the players are blitzing dungeons is the OL going to fall behind early? At what point will it begin to swing back in his favor? Or are we having just a completely odd experience in RTL?

Wulfgar61 said:

My game group just recently starting playing RTL, and based on everything I have read we are having a much different experience from the rest of the community. The first time we played we had the following:

OL Avatar: Spider Queen, Heroes (Skills): Runewitch (Telekenisis), Nanok (Weapon Master), Grey Ker (Acrobat) and Runehand (Wild Talent). WE hadn't read the FAW so allowed Telekenisis though I don't believe that decided the outcome by anymeans. We started out quickly blitzing several dungeons and were able to get upgraded dice and skills early. We eventually chased off Sir Alric and the OL threw in the towel around 51-17 in Conquest.

Our second go is already off to a similar start.

OL Avatar: Sorceror King, Heroes (Skills): Nanok (Cleave), One Fist (Battle Cry), Varikas (Prodigy), Kirga (Eagle Eye). We have only completed Starfell, but we had an incredibly easy run at it. We hit the Monasary and kept 5 villagers alive with ne hero deaths. we then ran the Gauntlet and again all heroes survived, and lastly we ran into a Trial By Fire. We killed the Hell Hound and bolted for the door. So all told we have 18 Conquest (1 exploring + 5 villagers + 3 glyph +2 boss + 3 glyph + 4 boss) and no player deaths. We did resist a Dark Charm and had 4 surges rolled against a Crushing Block and several X results on Ferrox attacks, but it seems our OLs are having a rough go at it.

My question is if the players are blitzing dungeons is the OL going to fall behind early? At what point will it begin to swing back in his favor? Or are we having just a completely odd experience in RTL?

OLs indeed have a hard time against players who know what to do... Besides, your group is amazing, with both wizard (come on, Varikas the Dead with Prodigy, how luckier can you get?! Guess we don't need any of those puny, squishy wizards!) and archer being 16-life tanks!

That's why I think the game really needs two levels of difficulty, one for beginners and one for seasoned heroes.

I think the OL can come back. Even with a good OL, blitzing really keeps the OL at bay. Once you decide to go through all 3 levels of a dungeon (usually for a rumor or a legendary dungeon) then the OL will pull ahead.

At any rate, he should be able to harass you with the Farrow brother while he's building his CT...

-shnar