Two players activating simultaneously in 4 player game - too chaotic?

By Leowulf, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Thinking about having a bigger game with my friends, maybe 500 points a side - but the twist is that two people can activate a ship at the same time to make it possible to have a big game that goes fast and doesn't take ages (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just want it to be exciting at fast paced as possible).

I don't see why it wouldn't necessarily work in a casual setting other than being quite chaotic.

(Edit to crucially mention that this is one ship from each side at the same time, not two ships from one side at a time, which I feel would be too alpha strikey)

What extra rules would I need to make this work?

Maybe the who ships activating simultaneously must remain in sync with regards to ship steps (can't move on to shooting until both have finished spending or saving their commands, can't manoeuvre until both players have finished doing all shooting, can't activate the next ship until both players have finalised previous manoeuvres.

So in a four player game, one player is activating a ship while the other player on the same team is dealing with the defence/keeping an eye on opponents simultaneous goings on.

Player with initiative loses his/her advantage so maybe when playing scenarios the second player should lose whatever advantage is gained as well.

I must be missing something - it works in my head though!

Pls help.

Edited by Leowulf

You'd need some way to resolve both of them wanting to move a ship into the same spot. Which one gets to move there and which one gets to decide whether to ram them or move somewhere else.

Likewise, shooting needs an order, what if I blow up the ship the other guy is/was going to shoot with? Can we blow each other up?

You'd need some way to resolve both of them wanting to move a ship into the same spot. Which one gets to move there and which one gets to decide whether to ram them or move somewhere else.

Likewise, shooting needs an order, what if I blow up the ship the other guy is/was going to shoot with? Can we blow each other up?

Yep, this is what I was missing, thanks!

Shooting is easy, blowing each other up simultaneously would be hilarious.

Moving could be as simple as the player with initiative getting first pick if there is contested space.

Hmm, couldn't be simpler. This is almost too easy.