Upgrade card packs

By Payens81, in Star Wars: Armada

Does anyone know if fantasy flight has ever thought of just making and selling upgrade card packs. What do I mean by this? I bought 2 core sets I figured that it would be cheaper than getting one and then adding the additional ships, also none of my friends have the game so kind of need the 2 to have a full game. Now wave 1 is out and if you buy the corvette or the neb B you get more upgrade cards and Mon Mothma. I really do not want to go out and buy a corvette set just for the upgrade card I want to save my money for the new stuff that I do not have yet. So where does that leave me if I want use the upgrade cards? I went online found a picture of the card and printed it off. I know I would not be able to use it in a tournament but I doubt I would ever be in one. I would prefer the cards from Fantasy Flight so would be nice if they had card packs or something that would be cheaper to buy.

I know friends that collect x-wing that do the same thing. They can't keep up with all the expansions or are not going to buy the elite being pack just for the upgrade cards so they do the samething. Thoughts?

Upgrade card packs are not going to happen.

Well the CR90 comes with new titles, new upgrades, a commander etc. And I own 2 core sets and gladly picked up a 3rd CR90 so that I have a mini Corvette swarm list avaliable. I also picked up 2 Nebulon-B expansions so that I can run those in mass (and it came with Intel Officer)

If they were gonna do that, they'd have done it for X-wing a long time ago. Since they haven't they aren't going to.
It'd be a huge financial suicide for them. Some people buy expansions just for upgrades. If they were to start selling just the upgrades for cheaper, they'd lose a lot

Yup, what those guys said, it is not going to happen. If anything they will release aces packs with old ships and new cards.

Though Ebay sellers can do the card packs and sell the minis separately

There's a difference between this and X wing. People are typically going to need less ships, and I bet most people have all the copies of a particular ship that they want already. For example, I'm never going to need another victory model... but down the line it might get outdated and they might want to put out more titles or unique upgrades for the Victory. I'm not going to want to buy an elite pack just for the cards. In this case, a card pack would be ideal

I'd imagine most of us don't want to buy an expansion just for cards, but that's the sales model ffg has. So far though, I haven't felt the need to buy multiples of the same ship just for cards unlike xwing. Hopefully this will continue.

FFG has sold upgrades for ships not included in an expansion. Look at the Most Wanted expansion for Xwing as an example. This is probably the closest to a "card pack" we could expect for Armada. This would be a good model for making new ship titles or cross faction variants of ships without a full ship re-release.

This is why there are duplicates of almost every card in the expansions. For instance, the VSD c9mes with Intel Officer as well as the Nebulon-B. Which as I hear tell is far better than how X-wing is/was

Flight Officers and I7 Turbolasers are big offenders.

Both exclusive to one ship and one faction. Hopefully this changes in wave 2.

Categorically ruled out for X-wing. Same designers, same company, same business model. Highly unlikely.

Edited by TIE Pilot

Which kit gets the turbo laser upgrade that is rebel exclusive for the expansions? The Nebulon-B?

Nebulon-B for the X-17.

People who quite sensibly want cards from expansions just need to find a good separates seller and pick things up from them.

Which kit gets the turbo laser upgrade that is rebel exclusive for the expansions? The Nebulon-B?

Nebulon-B for the X-17.

People who quite sensibly want cards from expansions just need to find a good separates seller and pick things up from them.

Well remember that we will be playing at 400 soon so account for that. I now have three CR90's and two of everything else. That seems like a perfect amount for bigger games and having different builds.

I also am thinking ahead for even bigger games if that time ever comes.

I am up to 3 CR90's, 4 Nebulon-B's, 1 Assault Frigate (this will be rectified to 2-3), a Gladiator (need 2 more), and 3 VSD's. I want more! Must have giant fame going on at home between myself where I complete a round every day

4 Nebulon-B's? What are you going for a Long Range Sniper Squad?

Edited by Beatty

In my opinion the current implementation is a horrible case of money grabbing, and its the only thing I really don't like about FFG's business model. Do you want card X? You have to buy ship Y just for the card. Corporate Commander is surely happy with that scheme.

Personally I'm smarter than that and will just print the cards I need.

In my opinion the current implementation is a horrible case of money grabbing, and its the only thing I really don't like about FFG's business model. Do you want card X? You have to buy ship Y just for the card. Corporate Commander is surely happy with that scheme.

Personally I'm smarter than that and will just print the cards I need.

Just saying pirating is not a legal thing to do at tournaments or leagues. Everyone else has to purchase them and it would be unfair to let you show up with proxies and printed cards. (Smarter is not really the word to use because We All have thought of it but don't do it.)

Edited by Beatty

This is a miniatures game, card packs without the models is pointless.

No. It's a miniature and trading card game - card packs would be interesting, but FFG would cut their margin by selling them. Or at least that's the fear...

Also, I think if you can have a little patience (not saying you don't) you could wait and then find a few people who bought some expansions and didn't end up liking the game overall and try to dump it using online auctions websites (are we allowed to say Ebay?).

Perhaps wave 2 will have some duplicates of useful cards like flight controllers. I really want another one of those, but I can't bring myself to buy that 4th Victory class ( I have two cores, one exp already). I will keep an eye out on eBay, I guess.

I have no interest in playing Rebels and will not buy one of their ships just to get one copy of a card I want.

If FFG did release a pack of upgrade cards (predetermined, not random) in the $8-10 (like Malifaux and Warmachine do for thier model cards, rather than forcing you to buy new models), I would snap them up.

In short, FFG would make more money from me if they made card packs as opposed to now where they do not.