Baharroth and initiative

By doulis, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Hello good people, a bit tricky ones here (at least tricky with me) :

1) I have Baharroth commiting on a planet. I have initiative token. Opponent commits to adjacent planet. I am sure I have initiative when combat phase begins on the planet with Baharroth. If I mobile him to the planet with the enemy Warlord, do I get initiative there too?

2) Opponent has initative token. Battle begins, I move Baharoth to adjacent planet, without enemy warlord. Do I get the initiative, or since my warlord was not present at the beginning of the combat, the player with initiative still has it? Book reference: "During battles at which both or no warlords were present at the start of the battle (and any time a battle is not being fought) the player with the initiative token has the initiative".

thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to provide some answers :) cheers

1. Initiative is determined at the beginning of the battle, not based on where the warlords are committed during the Commitment Phase or where they are when the Combat Phase starts. The rest of the answer to your question falls into place from there - specifically, if you Mobile Baharroth to a planet where your opponent's warlord is at the beginning of the Combat Phase, when the battle begins at that planet, initiative will be determined by who has the initiative token - same as it is whenever a battle starts at a planet where both warlords are present. Since, in your scenario, you have the initiative token, you/Baharroth will have initiative for the battle.

2. Same thing here. Initiative for the battle is determined when the battle starts, not based on where the warlords are committed during the Commitment Phase or where they are when the Combat Phase starts.. If you are the only player with a warlord at the planet when the battle starts, you have initiative for the battle, no matter which player has the initiative token.

For reference, see the flow chart on RRG p. 22 (showing that determination of initiative for the battle is a separate, distinct step that takes place immediately after the battle begins) and the Initiative entry on RRG p. 9 (which talks about "determination of initiative at the start of a battle").

Thank you for your quick response, i just missed the flowchart where the sequence is pretty obvious. Time to try him out i guess :)

As always, ktom is correct. Keep this in mind for Nazdreg and Telly porta pad as well. We had this situation the other day. The Telly Porta Pad's action can only be triggered during the combat phase, and the first action window for this occurs after combat begins at 1st planet.

So when Orks have no units at planet 1 and the other guy has an Earth Caste Technician with an Ion rile on him and no warlord - if Nazgreg tellyports down the board the ECT is swinging first for 4. That player already won initiative for that battle before the tellyport. No easy planet steal for you, Nazdreg!

Edited by sammann11

and the first action window for this occurs after combat begins at 1st planet.

Um... that's not true.

The combat phase flow chart on p. 22 of the RRG shows an Action Window between Window 3.1 (Combat Phase begins) and Window 3.2 (resolve first battle). Granted, once you get to 3.2, you won't have an opportunity to use a combat action until initiative is determined, but all players can play Combat Actions after the Combat Phase begins, but before any battles (including determining initiative for that battle) takes place.