Aggrobah lite V 2.0

By barnabys, in Gummi Garage

DARY!

So I get it, I do, you really don't want to nerf lamp/pegasus because it would be a blow to decks that only sort of abuse them. The problem is that's not good reasoning. If the most broken iteration of aggrobah wasn't that bad, I could see not changing the cards for the sake of those few other decks, but this version of the deck IS that bad. It's not just a power level thing either, the deck takes a long time to play and most of that time your opponent is just sitting there thinking about how much more fun they'd be having playing magic (or whatever, insert fun activity here ______). Even without that though, the deck does create serious power level concerns. I didn't spend any time trying to optimize the deck for the new ruling all I did was this, from the original deck:

-3 moogle

-2 aladdin level 3

+1 valor form

+1 goofy level 1

+1 winnie the pooh level 0

+1 pinnochio

+1 stealth sneak

Why those changes? Well as I've said a number of times before, aggro is naturally unbalanced vs world racer, so if that's how I'm going to kill them I need the extra damage valor form is going to give me. I went with goofy level 1 instead of the goofy that tutors because then I could always play him and it stood to reason I'd be able to draw into both of them easily anyways (I was able to). Winnie level 0 was to keep valor form in play and was another way to guarantee aggro couldn't beat me. Pinnochio was key because no longer would they only be getting 1-2 turns a game, so I needed to be able to get rid of any cards they kept. Finally stealth sneak seemed like the best way to beat a world racer because if I just play that every turn, they probably aren't running enough answers to knock it off every time....right? (not the best plan, again this isn't optimized). So we drove up.

Round 1 vs dark aggrobah

you know what the funny thing is, I just coincidentally run equipment hate. I mean I don't care much about their equipment, but abu's there anyways. So I never really got to see what he could do because the turn after he played his lamp, I knocked it off. Every time. Other then that I got valor form going, played some event 1s and uh, won.

1-0 (2-0)

Round 2 vs ansem deck

I think he was a world racer, that's the theory I'm going off of anyways. Turns out monstro is terrible for him. So is stealth sneak when he has at most 3 answers (and I don't think he ran all 3 creeper plants). Otherwise it was the same story, 3 damage a turn will win you games. I stated to think a kingdom key may have been a good addition.

2-0 (4-0)

Round 3 vs light world racer

game 1 was of fairly little consequence. Game 2 on the other hand, I almost lost. Or rather I was in a position where I could have lost. He was one world away with a stealth sneak on it. If it made it back to me I could kill him, but if he could deal with stealth sneak and move he had the game. He couldn't do both of those things as I had stripped away his entire hand. So it got back to me, event 1 and a valor form challenge sealed it.

3-0 (6-0)

So as you may have read, me and Fairbanks were the only undefeated, he at first felt like he did stand a chance. I said "tell me the exact combination of cards you think you can get that will allow you to win this game." I started with, so you're an aggro deck, I gain infinite life, and go! Now that's not an entirely accurate way of describing the match, but between the life gain I have and the poohs, I should be able to take it pretty easily. He ended up agreeing.

So what's the point of all this? Fix wishing lamp! The deck I built was not optimized and still had only 1 close game out of 6 and even in that game I'm not sure I played it perfectly, so it may not have even really been close. Plus game 3 woulda been mine, so. What more do you need? The deck 1) creates serious power level issues 2) increases tournament round times 3) creates a non fun playing environment. I'll admit, the deck is now more vulnerable than it was before, but it is still so powerful that you really have to either run the deck, or run a deck designed to beat the deck. That just seems silly. If you want to come up with reasons that I'm wrong, I will be more than happy to refute them.

Highjack said:

So I get it, I do, you really don't want to nerf lamp/pegasus because it would be a blow to decks that only sort of abuse them.

So what's the point of all this? Fix wishing lamp!

Two things:
1) I'm happy to see that Aggrobah is sticking.

2) EGADS

Dude, shouting louder in more threads and telling us what to do is not the answer. Me and Dawn are only human, and we don't have as much free time as we normally do at the moment.

We've been talking about what to do with the WL/Olympia draw engines, and we've already said in one place or another that we will get to work on it and inform everyone once we've made our final decision and spoken with Jaffer.

I didn't really see you guys saying you were on it, and for that, I'm sorry, and I'm sure Highjack is too.

That said, you guys have the power to create rulings, and are the ones who gave birth to this one. I'm pretty sure the whole point of you being deputized was to prevent having to go to Jaffer. I'll say it again that the obvious solution to this to make it still *good* for theme decks but not absurdly overpowered is to say "the first time each turn."

oh yea, I'm not trying to give you guys crap, I mean if you were getting paid that would be one thing, but since you're just doing it for love of the game, I definitely don't wanna give you guys headaches. I was of the impression that, apparently wrongly (and I do apologize) that the fix of event 1 was supposed to be the end all solution. I mean, I will say I don't see what it is you guys need to debate, but I totally understand not having a lot of free time and not wanting to make a rash decision. My whole point here was that it's one thing to talk about this in a theoretical sense of what it could be, I wanted to give you some actual hard results to show that in practice it is as bad as it seems.