Old MC fan, New to this version of MC....before I play/Buy...

By Peacekeeper_b, in Mutant Chronicles

I use to play the old Mutant Chronicles Role Playing Game as well as the Siege of the Citadel Board game and Warzone Miniature Battles. So here are some of my key questions.

1) How does this version of rules compare to the old Minis game?

2) What changes were made to the fluff from days gone by?

3) Any news on if there will be a RPG version of this?

4) How are the minis?

5) Is the setting still compatible with the 90s version of the setting?

Keep in mind I did not play either the RPG or Warzone, but I thought I would try to answer anyways.

1) How does this version of rules compare to the old Minis game? The rules are much different and there is no leveling system. The gameplay is still quite fast though and it is definitely enjoyable. Even with no leveling system there is much more customization involved when fielding an army.

2) What changes were made to the fluff from days gone by? Not sure exactly what this is refering to, but the storyline seems to be a mish mash of the different games over the years.

3) Any news on if there will be a RPG version of this? Last I heard there is a new RPG coming out, but it is not being done by FFG so it wont necessarily follow the same storyline.

4) How are the minis? They're big. Which is kind of cool, but it makes storage a pain in the butt. Most of the sculpts seem to be decent quality, but the paint leaves something to be desired. Of the 50 or so mini's I have now there are probably 8 that were broken or deformed.

5) Is the setting still compatible with the 90s version of the setting? I dont think I am qualified to answer this one.

1/ The rules are closer to those of Siege of the Citadel than those from Warzone (which is great news in my book). It is a simpler system than Warzone all around, more "gamey", but with a lot of depth in the army building department, and a lot of combos involved. Each faction has its own distinctive gameplay, very close to what it was in Siege (Bauhaus getting the big guns, while Capitol has flexibility...).

2/ The fluff seems to be based on Ultimate Warzone (3rd Edition). All in all, it is close to the original (Mitch Hunter, Max Steiner, Nikodemus, Alakhai and Goldotha are all here), though there are changes : Karak (Ilian's unique fig) is not the original templar anymore, but is a Brotherhood turncoat (like in UWZ). Some Dark Legions troops have changed alliegeance : for example, the Maculators are now Ilian's (surely because Ilian didn't have a lot of iconic figs). And you won't find some iconic figs for Algeroth, like plain Nepharites with their famous three-horned head, or Razids... They could arrive in 2009, though... And we don't have Imperial, Mishima, Cybertronic, Semai, Muawijhe or Demnogonis yet.

3/ FFG doesn't have the rights to make an RPG, which is a shame. There is an RPG in the making right now by a different company, though it is located in a far future from the classic MC setting...

4/ The minis are good, though some fo the paint jobs are lacking. Overall, they're much better sculpts than old MC figs (except for the Ezoghoul...). But if you're an old MC-fan, you could be disappointed to see how some iconic figs havec been re-designed, like Bauhaus' Venusian Ranger. I guess FFG did that to give Bauhaus a more coherent visual identity on the whole, and I must admit they succeeded in doing so.

5/Like I said, changes in the setting are limited, for what we know. The spirit is exactly the same. So I think the new setting is perfectly compatible with the old one.

a comment I'd like to make concerning the miniautres is that we've found:

A.) the pre-paint quality is good. I've seen a few touched up with GW washes and similar bits of detail, and they look fantastic.

B.) Storage does not seem to be a problem for me. Mine have been durable, and a simple snap-lid plastic box w/ foam will more than suffice.

C.) We like the scale and visual presence of the minis as well -- when I played in the break room at work it got much, much more attention that the guys that play other notable mini games.

Enjoy

If you get malformed models (like a bent sword or something), resist the urge to bend it back by hand, as this will weaken the plastic over time and possibly result in a break.

My recommendation is to take a heat gun, or even a hairdryer, and thoroughly warm up the bad portion of the model. Then use tweezers to reposition the deformed piece, so you don't risk burning your fingers on hot plastic. Of course, if you heat it up too much, the paint will strip off, so be careful!

I also had the plastic support rod on a Tekron Warmaster snap. A little superglue and some patience took care of it, though, and I've never had a problem with that model since.

I'm a fan of Ultimate Warzone and I am using the figs for that game, just doubling the measuring distances. As you can see they have mostly been releasing elites so traditional army building is a bit of a challenge. I use Capitol rangers as light infantry etc. so I can build legal armies. I have purchased a couple of hundred figs and I'm really happy with them, re-based on post-apocolyptic bases they look fantastic. For about a $1000 I have 4 good size armies, already painted. Try doing that with most traditional miniature games! I haven't tried playing the actual rules that come with the game, I just can't bring myself to play on a 2D map when I have so much great terrain. Just another view, I say if you are an old fan like myself, go for it, you won't be disappointed, even if you decide to use them with traditional miniature game rules.

you know, you could modify the rules to play on 3-d maps. change to true los and say adjcant is either base contact or with 1 inch, etc.

also i play on 3d terrian all the time via heroscape tiles.