Vehicle rules/information

By Quietus1, in Black Crusade

Hello.

Which book was it that had rules for vehicles (not daemon engines)? I have the core book and all the tomes and I know I saw it somewhere, but having no luck finding it now...

Tome of Blood had a few rules (pages 47-49), and Tome of Excess also discussed living mounts (pages 44-46). Mind, if you were looking for more detail on the latter then you might be better served looking in Only War or Dark Heresy 2E.

For The Note: Deathwatch especially Rites of Battle has Vehicles for Astrates...

Rouge Trader also has Vehicles mainly small spacecraft and Void-ships if needed.

( Using Only War as guide I also statted out Malcador Tank family for my Black Crusade Group, So it can help if you need some special snowflakes)

Edited by Athanatosz

RT and DW can be good for at-a-glance stats, but their vehicles tend to have been written before some of the improvements made by OW and DH2E. So they generally won't have the cohesive list of vehicle traits, or the "fixed" weapon profiles. (DW in particular was too fond of throwing lots of dice around but being stingy with flat bonuses for damage, so much that the errata actually tweaked all the non-relic weapons.)

Like "speedfreak" Predator with 70 kph :D

Thanks for the replies.

Turned out I was wrong about what a Chimera actually was :P I thought it was like a halftrack armored vehicle, not a small tank :P

Anyway, I need to stat out this halftrack armored truck the tech priest/heretek in training has nursed back to health. I found the vehicle section in "Into the Storm" so I'll probably make up something for that. Mind you, if anyone has any stat suggestions I am open to them.

Basically this thing...

Halftrack01.jpg

Maybe Chimera minus weapons..

Dark Heresy 2nd edition: Forgotten Gods page 46. Taurox. is the closest choice...

For Legion vehicles, I'd say look at Deathwatch: Rites of Battle. It's even mentioned (as far as I know) in the book that the loyalist vehicles can be used for Chaos without any modifications.

Good luck actually getting a physical copy of it though, I'm still trying.

Edited by Gridash

For Chaos Vehicles 1 gathered a little list :

Chaos Space&Aircraft: Deathwatch: Rites of Battle, Rouge Trader: Battle-fleet Khronus, Rouge Trader: Into The Storm

Rhino, Predator, Land Raider and other SM-only vehicles: Deathwatch: Rites of Battle

Lost and The Damned vehicle options: Only War: Core Rulebook & Shield of Humanity

RT and DW can be good for at-a-glance stats, but their vehicles tend to have been written before some of the improvements made by OW and DH2E. So they generally won't have the cohesive list of vehicle traits, or the "fixed" weapon profiles. (DW in particular was too fond of throwing lots of dice around but being stingy with flat bonuses for damage, so much that the errata actually tweaked all the non-relic weapons.)

Indeed. In general, it should be kept in mind that the books are not interchangeable. Each of the different games is an individual standalone system, and although they all use the same underlying d100 mechanics, they also feature an evolution of said rules, as well as special mechanics and NPC/vehicle/gear profiles hand-tailored to the power level and narrative style of that one game . It's why the very same item or NPC can have different stats in different books.

That being said, of course the other games can serve as inspiration. I'd merely caution against just adopting them "as-is" instead of giving them a balance pass and applying any necessary adaptions to make them conform to the rest of the game you are actually playing. For example, the combat bike in the Only War fan-supplement I've written with Ramellan is 50% copied from the Tome of Blood, but I still had to re-write the other half just because Only War uses different vehicle mechanics and even one different stat type.

In general, it should be kept in mind that the books are not interchangeable.

Yeah they are. They're not 100% conversions, but it doesn't take much to make one work with another. They use the same rules base.

Only War uses different vehicle mechanics and even one different stat type.

What different stat?

BYE

Only war:

Type: Tracked
Tactical Speed: 12 m
Cruising Speed: 35 kph
Manoeuvrability: –10
Structural Integrity: 55
Size: Massive
Armour: Front 40, Side 32, Rear 20
Vehicle Traits: Enclosed, Reinforced Armour, Rugged,
Tracked Vehicle
Black Crusade:
Tactical Speed: 10/20/30/60 Cruising Speed: 110 kph
Structural Integrity: 15 Armour: 14
Availability: Extremely Rare.
Traits: Integral Weapon, Legion, Reinforced, Size (Hulking).
Options:
Slash and Run:

measure tactical speed is different

only war has "Manoeuvrability" (copied word)

Armor is divided in front/side/rear in Only war (Bc has 1 vehicle and 1 stat for all)

Maybe he tought the tactical speed or the Maneuverability....

Edited by Athanatosz

measure tactical speed is different

only war has "Manoeuvrability" (copied word)

Armor is divided in front/side/rear in Only war (Bc has 1 vehicle and 1 stat for all)

Maybe he taught the tactical speed or the Maneuverability....

Yes, Manoeuvrability is the one. Fortunately, it's not a very important value, so it's pretty easy to just "guesstimate" something that sounds about right. Armour was not much of a problem as it was just a bike (and I assume BC would use separate AP fields too if it came to "full" vehicles). Tactical Speed can be converted by simply comparing the table on p39 of the BC core rulebook with the values used for OW vehicles (or vice versa).

The biggest confusing factor was probably that both BC uses one ruleset for bikes and mounts, and then OW uses one for all sorts of mechanised vehicles, and another in HotE for animals. Though they are all based on the same principles, they also all have some unique traits/subrules, so that's definitely something to look out for when including vehicles into your campaign.

As another example, there are no "Open-Topped" or "Bike" traits in ToB, because there is something similar (yet not identical!) in the general rules. This is more something concerning actual play rather than equipment design, though - a player or GM switching from one game to another could easily get confused by the specific implementation.

Edited by Lynata

We usually use Only War vehicles or others from RT and DW in an "Only War"-ized form in our BC games. Also I statted out some other vehicles used Only War vehicle rules as a guideline and Imperial Armour issues as for stats and measuring stat (like speed armor points compered together in Imperial Armour).

(like speed armor points compered together in Imperial Armour).

Yeah, I found such comparisons make for excellent conversions. :)

I usually look for a sort of "rosetta stone" - as in, an item that exists both in the game where I want to insert the new gear/vehicle/NPC, as well as in another source that has what I want - and then just try to come up with a formula of how the various stats would translate.

Ah, right, I see what you mean. Well... Black Crusade doesn't really have vehicle rules. It has Bike rules. They were written as bikes rules, not as more general vehicle rules. Sure, they're an adaptation of the OW vehicle rules, but they were only made to cover bikes, not really much else beyond that (little bit of mounted combat, but that's more covered by the Slaaneshi book).

BYE

No biggie. You know how often I ***** about the books not really being compatible across series, so ...

Either way, as long as a GM can still craft something useful with houserules, I think we should be happy. And like I said, ToB was sufficiently inspiring to easily enable reverse-engineering.

Yeah they are.

Sorry.

Yeah they are. They're not 100% conversions, but it doesn't take much to make one work with another. They use the same rules base.

Only War uses different vehicle mechanics and even one different stat type.

What different stat?

BYE

Not want to go on flame but that's the correct answer as others also mentioned (house ruling, making own vehicles etc...)

Not want to go on flame but that's the correct answer as others also mentioned (house ruling, making own vehicles etc...)

But that's the very meaning of the books not being blindly interchangeable.

If houserules being necessary is still okay, you may as well say that D&D and the WoW RPG are compatible just because they're both using the d20 system. Or for 40k, that you could throw in stuff from GW's Inquisitor game because it also uses d100 (and in fact has many of the skills and talents also found in Dark Heresy etc).

I don't think anyone ever doubted that you can adopt stuff from other products if you're willing to double-check and put in some work (and I've repeatedly said so before). But that's the thing: you have to do this, else you risk derailing your game.

I think we speak the same thing only an more or less viewpoint.

Also my post was really for Tenebrae.... (miss quote sorry)

Yeah they are.

They really aren't.
Sorry.
Edited by Athanatosz