Preview from Team Covenant

By alpha5099, in General Discussion

And he's removed from play, that means you can play another copy of Varys, right?

Yeah. Assuming it works the same way in 2.0 as it did in 1.0, as long as he's not in the dead pile, you can play another copy of him after you use his ability.

Yep. As Bomb stated if it still works the same way. I likey! :)

Edited by The Black Man

Whoa. Interesting that it's not Kill Varys (cannot be saved).

That would be bizarre. Varys is not in the business of suicide bombing.

The "(cannot be saved)" would be redundant (it would be in V1), since you cannot save a card from a cost (I'd be astonished if it wasn't still the case in V2). And I'll bet killing as a cost will be called "sacrificing" (the word is used in Robb's text). Also, removing a card from the game as a cost already exists in V1 (Drowned Prophet in Ancient Enemies).

The "(cannot be saved)" would be redundant (it would be in V1), since you cannot save a card from a cost (I'd be astonished if it wasn't still the case in V2). And I'll bet killing as a cost will be called "sacrificing" (the word is used in Robb's text). Also, removing a card from the game as a cost already exists in V1 (Drowned Prophet in Ancient Enemies).

I'm aware, though the "cannot be saved" templating is pretty common in 1E even if not strictly necessary. And you're right, "Sacrifice" likely is the term in 2E (and the rules will likely lay out right from the beginning that Sacrifice can never be saved from, and it'll all be simpler).

I'm aware, though the "cannot be saved" templating is pretty common in 1E even if not strictly necessary. And you're right, "Sacrifice" likely is the term in 2E (and the rules will likely lay out right from the beginning that Sacrifice can never be saved from, and it'll all be simpler).

Yeah, but the kind of reminder text (in first edition) like Cannot be Saved on costs actually leads to more confusion than it avoids. The automatic assumption is that because this other effect *didnt* have that reminder, you must be able to save from its cost - and it is a warranted assumption. I hope they avoid inconsistent reminder text (like, for instance, Fortified Position saying characters in play in first edition).

Edited by -Istaril