3+ players possible "out of the box"?

By John Constantine, in Star Wars: The Card Game

Hello. I have read the sticky FAQ thread, and it was said that "Balance of the Force" expansion "enables multiplayer". Does this means that it opens door for more than 2 players?

I'm asking because I'm currently have an opportunity to buy one core set + edge of the darkness expansion, but I'm not interested in it if it unplayable with more than 2 players.

Any insight, please?

Balance of the Force gives two challenge decks that support 2 vs 1 and 3 vs 1 game modes.

Additionally it has a rules insert for 2 vs 2 standard play.

The normal game style is 1 vs 1 but these other options exist. You will want Balance of the Force both for the challenge scenarios, multiplayer deathstar dial and multiplayer focused objective sets.

That said, you could certainly play 2v2 with the intro decks from the core set. I think the rules are still posted on product page of the website. You'd be short a death star dial the went high enough, but that's easy enough to work around.

I have a LotR LCG and a Call of Cthulhu LCG, would any components from them suffice as the replacement for what I would be missing without Balance of the Force in multiplayer?

The LOTR threat dial will work.

You just need to count to 16 on the dial (or some number I don't remember).

You'll be able to play 2 on 2 without Balance of the Force, but for 3 players you are stuck with a 2 on 1 Challenge deck (currently only included in BOTF). You can always play a normal 2 on 2 game and have one player control both decks on his side (similar to two handed solo LOTR) but it can get messy.

I thank you for the answer.

Another question that had risen up. With these two boxes, how big the deckbuilding potential will be in a 4 player game? Because from my experience from LotR and CoC, those two barely had a card pool to support a couple of decks, and offered no variety at all. Is this is the case with Star Wars too?

With a single copy of each of those 2 boxes you'll be able to build enough decks for a 4 player game. They won't be "competitive" decks per se, but if you're not taking them to a tournament that hardly matters. You would be somewhat restricted in your build options, but there would be options.

Doing some math, both sets combined have 366 cards, which means 183 cards per side, which means roughly 3 decks for each side. I'm so concerned because of 1 reason - those two sets that are currently avaibale to me are in my native language, and judging by everything, nothing else from Star Wars the card game was ever translated after. So, if I'm buing it - I'm sticking exclusevily with it without the ability to expand it further. And if I really need the Balance of Force to enjoy the real multiplayer, then I'll have to find a way to buy english version, which will be a lot more expensive, but will not close the door behind it, allowing me to expand the card pool if I wish to.

On a side note, why did they dropped 1v2 and 1v3 format in their post-Balance of Force expansions? Was it so unsuccessful?

The 1v2 and 1v3 formats were exclusive to specific challenge decks including in the Balance of the Force expansion. Releasing more challenge decks doesn't work well with their normal release method (could theoretically fit a single challenge deck in a force pack and most players would prefer more cards). There's speculation that they'll eventually release more challenge decks as print on demand products.

Is there any replayability within those challenge decks or it will get sore after a couple of plays?

You'd be short a death star dial the went high enough, but that's easy enough to work around.

eww, paper and maths...it's like we're living in a 3rd world country

Is there any replayability within those challenge decks or it will get sore after a couple of plays?

Well, if you're trying to play against them with a limited card pool they're probably going to be a ton more challenging which would up the replayability. Plus, they're still a card game, so each game will be different based on what gets drawn when. But in the end you are playing against the same deck over and over (though the LS challenge deck has a mechanic to mix things up a little), so I at least would eventually get tired of it if that was the only format I played.

I think it's worth noting that even though the two products you have are the only ones in your language, if you buy a second copy of each, your deck-building potential goes up a whole lot! If you're interested in having deck-building options, I'd definitely look into that. Most of the objective sets in Core and Edge of Darkness are single copies and you're allowed to include 2 copies of most objective sets in your deck. You can buy a second copy of each without too much waste and it really helps you specialize with your decks.