Characters can't full run with their weapon out

By RonFarster, in Only War House Rules

firstly, why is the run action 6x base speed? i guess maybe it represents running flat out, but if so why can you do it with your weapon out?

like i get that a guy might be strong enough to heft a rocket launcher and jog with it, but having that kinda thing in your hands/shoulder is really going to prevent you running your fastest.

I dont see why you would ever use the full move action unless you had hip shooting

I dont see why you would ever use the full move action

Because you want to get to a certain place quickly and at the same time have a pleasant "-20 to enemies BS tests" modifier?

I agree that the run action lets you move quite far in comparison to a half/full move, or even a charge. Have you ever held a gun and ran? It isn't a huge impediment. If somebody has a heavy weapon, it can be assumed they are big enough or strong enough that the size and weight of the weapon won't be that much of a hindrance.

If anything the half action move is too little IMO. While realistically it takes time to build up speed, an average char. in OW can move only 3 meters and still fire one unaimed shot. 3 meters... I can probably move farther in half a second and I'm a couch potato. How long is the OW round? 5 seconds?

I've seen the ratio of 10 rounds = 1 minute somewhere (o ne of published adventures , I think? ) , so 6 seconds.

Found it. Core Rulebook, p.382: "5 minutes (roughly 60 rounds)", so 5 seconds.

Edited by Jargal

To put it in perspective, I knew guys who could run the 40 yard dash in 4.3 seconds as freshmen in high school. 3m is a paltry distance, but then again so are the ranges for guns, and don't even get me started on grenade range...

To put it in perspective, I knew guys who could run the 40 yard dash in 4.3 seconds as freshmen in high school. 3m is a paltry distance, but then again so are the ranges for guns, and don't even get me started on grenade range...

That dash is pretty much the Run action in a nutshell, and you know with high agility bonus and the Sprint talent you can go even faster.

Still the normal move should be around 2-3 times what it is now, which incidentally would help melee characters as well who struggles to get stuck in (running gives enemies bonus to melee so that is not always wanted or even necessary).

3-4 m move in melee is ok for me. This is a normal lunge distance .

The point of Run is to get there fast yeah. Running being impaired by a Heavy Weapon? Congratulations, that's referred to as "being encumbered". lol. I use run all the time for tactical repositioning, but I play Stormtroopers and characters thusly inspired.

Because you want to get to a certain place quickly and at the same time have a pleasant "-20 to enemies BS tests" modifier?

no wait, doesnt the full move action not give the bbonus but running does?

all good points i think, but can anyone sprint wearing full military gear? if running with a gun isnt too hard, but sprinting is almost impossible as you need to swing your arms.

Full move is just walking briskly, or for longer. Charging is a run, with speed sacrificed to get a weapon to bear. Running is as the name suggests, running.

Running further using the Sprint talent? That's sprinting. And probably why it's a talent lol.

no wait, doesnt the full move action not give the bbonus but running does?

Yes, only running give bbonus, but if you use full action for movement - why not use running ?

Because that's being horribly gamey and unfaithful to roleplay, if you use the Run action to run that slowly and only cover 6m in 5 seconds.

Because that's being horribly gamey and unfaithful to roleplay, if you use the Run action to run that slowly and only cover 6m in 5 seconds.

You take it too literally .

Imagine that a large part of this time you spend on preparation, then in less than a second you overcome this 6m, fall in the next shell crater and spend the last second of the round to recover breath.

Edited by Jargal