Cost of a Star Destroyer?

By Slave1, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Just something fun to look at.

Victory I Star Destroyer:

Victory I -class Star Destroyers were 900 meters long, just over half the size of the later Imperial -class Star Destroyer.

A single Victory I -class Star Destroyer required 4,798 crew members and 402 gunners for optimal operation and could transport up to 2,040 troops, 8,100 metric tons of cargo, several ground vehicles like the AT-AT, and two squadrons of starfighters.

More stats here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_I-class_Star_Destroyer

An aircraft carrier is about 330m long, so we will need about 3 of those and cost about 12.75b.

A squadron of starfighters can be based around the Joint Strike Fighter at roughly $325m each. A squadron is about 12 ships, so we need 24. Also, they need to fly in space so we will make each one also a space shuttle.

From what I can tell there are three main engines and four auxiliary engines on a Star Destroyer. I'm going to go with each of the big ones is an LHC and the aux's are about half that? So three main engines around 6.5b and the aux's are are 3.25b.

It seems like training costs for soliders and pilots range from a few tens of thousands to a couple million. There's roughly 7,500 on an SD fully loaded so lets go with about 750k for each one?

The navicomputer would be way better than anything we have so I went with 100 Tianhe-2's, which is the fastest supercomputer currently.

The Victory I-class also has about 50 armaments on it as well. These are all probably quite fancy and super cool and I'm going to go with something like the Zumwalt on this one. They are about 3.5b each.

(Hull) 3 aircraft carriers @ 12.75b = 38.25b

(Engines) 3 LHC @ 6.5b and 4 half LHC @ 3.25 = 32.5b

(Starfighters ) 24 Joint Strike Fighters @ 325m + 450m each = 18.6b

(Crew) 7,500 souls @ 750k each = 5.6b

(Weapons) 50 armaments at 3.5b each = 175b

(Navicomputer) 100 Tianhe-2 @ 390m each = 39b

So far we're at roughly 300b and we haven't even added a lot of the other stuff. In 2009, the US spent a little under this amount " to maintain troops, equipment, fleets, and bases overseas," as in for everything.

It definitely seems doable, though anything bigger would start bankrupting the world >.> So no Super Star Destroyers any time soon....

Edited by Slave1

Just something fun to look at.

Victory I Star Destroyer:

Victory I -class Star Destroyers were 900 meters long, just over half the size of the later Imperial -class Star Destroyer.

A single Victory I -class Star Destroyer required 4,798 crew members and 402 gunners for optimal operation and could transport up to 2,040 troops, 8,100 metric tons of cargo, several ground vehicles like the AT-AT, and two squadrons of starfighters.

More stats here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_I-class_Star_Destroyer

An aircraft carrier is about 330m long, so we will need about 3 of those and cost about 12.75b.

A squadron of starfighters can be based around the Joint Strike Fighter at roughly $325m each. A squadron is about 12 ships, so we need 24. Also, they need to fly in space so we will make each one also a space shuttle.

From what I can tell there are three main engines and four auxiliary engines on a Star Destroyer. I'm going to go with each of the big ones is an LHC and the aux's are about half that? So three main engines around 6.5b and the aux's are are 3.25b.

It seems like training costs for soliders and pilots range from a few tens of thousands to a couple million. There's roughly 7,500 on an SD fully loaded so lets go with about 750k for each one?

The navicomputer would be way better than anything we have so I went with 100 Tianhe-2's, which is the fastest supercomputer currently.

The Victory I-class also has about 50 armaments on it as well. These are all probably quite fancy and super cool and I'm going to go with something like the Zumwalt on this one. They are about 3.5b each.

(Hull) 3 aircraft carriers @ 12.75b = 38.25b

(Engines) 3 LHC @ 6.5b and 4 half LHC @ 3.25 = 32.5b

(Starfighters ) 24 Joint Strike Fighters @ 325m + 450m each = 18.6b

(Crew) 7,500 souls @ 750k each = 5.6b

(Weapons) 50 armaments at 3.5b each = 175b

(Navicomputer) 100 Tianhe-2 @ 390m each = 39b

So far we're at roughly 300b. In 2009, the US spent a little under this amount "to maintain troops, equipment, fleets, and bases overseas," as in for everything.

It definitely seems doable, though anything bigger would start bankrupting the world >.> So no Super Star Destroyers any time soon....

There was a guy on Kickstarter like three year ago asking for several Billion to build a Death Star. It was quite brilliant.

Edited by Beatty

The material costs are significantly higher than three aircraft carriers. Try 9 or 10 for the widest level due to width increases and another 3 or 4 to go up and down.

And you might have overdone the computer costs. Star Wars didn't seem to use much tech for their computers. (Granted this is functionally an issue with the time the films were made, but they still don't seem to use anything beyond what would naturally be on those aircraft carriers.

Otherwise nice write up.

The material costs are significantly higher than three aircraft carriers. Try 9 or 10 for the widest level due to width increases and another 3 or 4 to go up and down.

And you might have overdone the computer costs. Star Wars didn't seem to use much tech for their computers. (Granted this is functionally an issue with the time the films were made, but they still don't seem to use anything beyond what would naturally be on those aircraft carriers.

Otherwise nice write up.

With that you could add about 175b onto it round it off to a cool half trillion. It's interesting to see the scale, even one of these would be quite a heavy expenditure on a single planet, let alone the cost for its upkeep, its replacement, and what not. Just looking up the fleet sizes for the Battle of Endor ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Endor ) gives an absurd amount when you realize the Victory I is barely represented. Still, its interesting to think what the fleet costs might be in a typical Armada game.

Edited by Slave1

The Empire should hire members of the United Federation of Planets who would build the ships out of the kindness of their hearts...but then they'd have to worry about each star destroyer having a token Vulcan on it.

Any Vulcan trying to correct the Dark Lord of the Sith is not going to live long and/or prosper.