New card problem

By Slio9, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

So after me and my friend opened up our Core Set and played a couple games with it straight up, we started to edit our current decks with the cards (Jon Snow is beastly). We played a couple of games and hit the sack. The next day, later that night, we decided to play a couple games with our updated decks and I noticed something. The cases that had cards from either the core set or new chapter packs (white bordered) had imprinted the card back onto my cases, making it painfully obvious which cards in my hand and on top of my deck were new.

Is anybosy else noticing this problem? I'm going to try and find a scanner tomorrow to show you guys the difference, it's quite noticable and irritating. Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem?

One of the things I want to add to this is that the sleeves that Slio is using are plain grey in color, like either Dragon Shields or the solid color sleeves that Ultra Pro used to make. I haven't encountered this problem yet with a set of sleeves that have a raised pattern (such as the Rook MEtallic series), and also not on my UP art sleeves (though I will be checking those later).

It is really bizarre. It literally looks like the ink from the logo seeped all the way through to the other side of the sleeve, as a type of ghost image, yet clearly noticeable and readable. We've starting to actually test sleeves at out store to see which ones this is likely to happen to.

I actually noticed this same thing with a set of grey Dragon Shields that I have, but I didn't think much about it at the time. This is quite bizarre if it's a common problem.

I think that this is what happens when you make things in China

I'd prefer my games to be high quality, whatever the price might be

5 minutes ago, i didn´t know what you were all writing about. Now i noticed that at least the "G" of Game of thrones is clearly imprinted on the back of the black sleeves i´m using. There is Jeyne Westerling and Maester Vyman in my deck and it doesn´t need a magician to tell these two cards apart from the other cards in the deck.

I just got my Core Set and after reading about this cards paint problem I am afraid to use "card condoms" on my cards. I just do not want to waste over 200 card sleeves. Is there a way to avoid those card back imprints on card sleeves??

Besides, does the same happen if you put cards into pocket card pages?

So far we haven't seen this problem in sleeves with art on the back side, only on the solid color ones. Makes me wonder if this is noticeable on the black sleeves.

Old Ben mentioned in his post above that he can see that imprint on the black sleeves he uses.

I wonder if there's any chance of an official voice weighing in with some theories? This does seem like a rather strange issue.

what about cutting up some paper and inserting them in the sleves on the back? i know it seems like a lot of work, but it would allieviate the issue.

Good idea, but would not work for me. I use clear sleeves for all my AGOT cards.

It is just so disappointing, that whatever new FFG brings out lately, it just sucks!!!

Checked my new cards including Core set and Chapter Packs which have been "stewing" for a couple of weeks in their Ultra-Pro clear sleeves. I see no trace of ink bleed or ghost images on any of the sleeves.

GhostimageOfAGOTCardsOnBlackSleeves#5276

picasaweb.google.de/benjaminjakob/GhostimageOfAGOTCardsOnBlackSleeves#5276677674567637682

Well, i hope the image shows / gives an idea about the issue. it´s hard to take a good picture of the phenomen, because it has a lot to do with the reflection of light. But i think you can make out the "G" and parts of the "T" below.

Only the cards Maester Vyman and Jeyne Westerling have these ghost image son the back of the sleeves, all other 58 cards of the decks have normal full black backsides.

It's worth noting that this isn't ink bleeding from the card into the sleeve; it's a physical impression or imprint. That fact seems to have gotten confused over the course of the thread. It would also explain why it has only showed up with plain color sleeves and not patterned or art sleeves (the backings of those sleeves are thicker and thus harder to get that physical imprint).

I've seen this happen in the CCG era, too. It's probably some sort of printing variability.