Just ordered it, so excited :) ... some questions

By jux, in Zombie Apocalypse

Really like that it is a simple system with much narrative included. I also think that having the small page count is an asset in a RPG.

While I wait for my book to arrive, I would like to know some things.

1. As there are 3 stat categories - physical, mental and sotial, the same is for taking damage. I wonder, what these damages relate to. I understand physical damage. Mental damage is like sanity I suppose. But what is sotial damage?

2. I think that it's brilliant, that this game does not include the ever mandatory "gaining experience" rules. I wonder, if this is not present, how the bigger campaign games feel? Have anyone played longer games for several sessions? Is there any way at all to get better at somehting in the system?

The best way to conceptualize each type of Trauma is to put it within the framework of the Attributes used to describe the Attributs categories.

If you have "damaged" Logic and Willpower capabilities, you become less and less rational and unable to resist those irrational thoughts, so yeah sanity is a decent analog. I would also say that things like acting impulsively without considering consequence and not wanting to "try" anymore could be Mental Trauma.

For Social Trauma, if you have a damaged/reduced Charisma and Empathy, you are mean to people, you don't trust anyone, you only see what you want to see in any given person.

I plan on trying to run a long term campaign, we decided to go through an Eddge of the Empire cycle so it'll be 6 more weeks before I am running EotW, but I'll mos def keep the forums updated on how it goes.

As for progression, there are explicit rules in the book (don't have it in front of me so I can't cite it at the moment) for how Attributes can improve and new Features can be acquired (giving you more dice to more checks).

Edited by emsquared

Yeah the experience rules (like most of the rules) are relatively loose and narrative. Basically at the end of a session each player gains a new positive and a new negative feature based on what happened in play.

So take my first session - one guy did a load of damage with a cricket bat, but also ran away from a really important fight that got someone killed. So we gave him Blunt weapon pro as a positive feature and Unreliable/Untrustworthy as a negative feature.

If you would get that feature again e.g. that same player continues to excel at blunt weapons then they could instead increase that attribute (Dex) by 1. I think the same applies to negative features and reducing an attribute (but I might be wrong).

Of course this could potentially mean that eventually your players have every attribute at 5 and a TONNE of features. I think it would take too long before this actually becomes an issue. Saying that though features are stacking up pretty quickly so it wont be long before we need to start writing them on additional bits of paper!

Maybe a three positive feature limit, with old being replaced with new?