Inquisition with Deathwatch support

By grammel, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

First post, first thread and one game under my belt. Currently, I own 2 Cores, The Threat Beyond and Zogwort's Conquest. Anyway, enough babble, here's the deck:

Coteaz

ARMY

Coteaz's Henchmen x4

Infantry Conscripts x3

Firedrake Terminators x3

Blood Angel Veterans x2

Assault Valkyrie x2

Steel Legion Chimera x3

Land Raider x2

ATTACHMENT

The Glovodan Eagle

Bodyguard x2

SUPPORT

Formosan Black Ship

Catachan Outpost x2

Imperial Bunker

Holy Sepulchre x2

Fortress-Monastery

Promethium Mine x3

Rockcrete Bunker x2

EVENT

Indomitable x2

Fall Back! x3

Rally the Charge x3

The Emperor Protects x2

Suppressive Fire x2

Exterminatus x2

Preemptive Barrage x2

Hi there and welcome to the community! I am not an active poster at all, but am an active player in my local scene, so here's a few ideas that sprung to my mind after checking through your deck.

1) You have way too few troops. The standard is about 25 to 30 Army units in your deck, otherwise you will suffer a severe lack of resources as you cannot place enough hammers on planets. A well-designed Tau/Eldar deck with dozens of hammers or a Dark Eldar deck with resource control mechanics will ensure you cannot play more than a card or two per turn. You may want to include cards such as 10th Company Scout, Tallarn Raider and other cheap (0 to 2 cost) units.

2) You have way too many supports and events! This is a continuation of point #1. Since you will have problems with fielding units, you will not have enough resources to play your supports or events. While Event cards can be used as shields during combat, most of your cards will be sitting in your hand for several turns before you can field them. Dropping cards such as Promethium Mine, Rockcrete Bunker, Fortress Monastery and at least one of the Holy Sepulchres will help already. Yes, I am aware that the Conscripts Squad will become more powerful based on the number of your Supports but for three cards only this is far too much of an investment. Remember, wars are won on resources, not men!

3) You apparently split your forces evenly between the Guard and the Marines. However, I believe you should redesign your deck in so that you have a dominant faction (in case of Coteaz, Astra Militarum) and a support faction. Remove cards such as Fall Back, Rally the Charge that are meant to bolster your Marines - you have only 7 Marine Army unit cards and 5 cards meant to support them. And the Land Raiders and the Salamander Terminators become too expensive very quickly, especially with Rally.

To summarize; drop about half of your events and supports, fill the opened up space with cheap AM and SM hammer units, drop at least the expensive Land Raiders and include more cheap units. Cards to consider including are Ratlings, Eager Recruit, Elysian Assault Team.

Hi there and welcome to the community! I am not an active poster at all, but am an active player in my local scene, so here's a few ideas that sprung to my mind after checking through your deck.

1) You have way too few troops. The standard is about 25 to 30 Army units in your deck, otherwise you will suffer a severe lack of resources as you cannot place enough hammers on planets. A well-designed Tau/Eldar deck with dozens of hammers or a Dark Eldar deck with resource control mechanics will ensure you cannot play more than a card or two per turn. You may want to include cards such as 10th Company Scout, Tallarn Raider and other cheap (0 to 2 cost) units.

2) You have way too many supports and events! This is a continuation of point #1. Since you will have problems with fielding units, you will not have enough resources to play your supports or events. While Event cards can be used as shields during combat, most of your cards will be sitting in your hand for several turns before you can field them. Dropping cards such as Promethium Mine, Rockcrete Bunker, Fortress Monastery and at least one of the Holy Sepulchres will help already. Yes, I am aware that the Conscripts Squad will become more powerful based on the number of your Supports but for three cards only this is far too much of an investment. Remember, wars are won on resources, not men!

3) You apparently split your forces evenly between the Guard and the Marines. However, I believe you should redesign your deck in so that you have a dominant faction (in case of Coteaz, Astra Militarum) and a support faction. Remove cards such as Fall Back, Rally the Charge that are meant to bolster your Marines - you have only 7 Marine Army unit cards and 5 cards meant to support them. And the Land Raiders and the Salamander Terminators become too expensive very quickly, especially with Rally.

To summarize; drop about half of your events and supports, fill the opened up space with cheap AM and SM hammer units, drop at least the expensive Land Raiders and include more cheap units. Cards to consider including are Ratlings, Eager Recruit, Elysian Assault Team.

The Supports had less to do with the Conscripts, as anything past probably 10-14 is redundant on them, allowing for Shields or redirecting damage. The supports all had functions relating to the deck and helping it move along. The Mines for Resource production for the high cost of the units, Rockcrete for damage reduction along with Bodyguard. Bodyguard would be going on the Land Raider or the Blood Angel Termies. Holy Speluchre, Indomitable and the Fall Back! to keep the expensive Firedrakes and Land Raiders alive, or in circulation.

I honestly didn't notice the deck being about 50/50 AM/SM. :) I was going for a theme of Coteaz leading Terminator Deathwatch and his AstraMil retainer against the Galaxy.

That said, I made changes based on your feedback. :)

Coteaz

ARMY - 31

Penal Legionaire x2

Eager Recruit x2

10th Company Scout x2

Tallarn Raiders x3

Ratling Deadeye x3

Elysian Assault Team x2

Coteaz's Henchmen x4
Tactical Squad Cardinis x3
Blood Angel Veterans x2
Steel Legion Chimera x3
Assault Valkyrie x2
Infantry Conscripts x3
ATTACHMENT - 3
Bodyguard x2
The Glovodan Eagle

SUPPORT - 8
Formosan Black Ship
Imperial Bunker
Staging Ground x3
Catachan Outpost x2
Holy Sepulchre
EVENT - 8
The Emperor Protects x2
Suppressive Fire x2
Preemptive Barrage x2
Exterminatus x2
Edited by grammel

Already looking much better - the ratio of Units, Attachments, Supports and Events is far better and you include some very good units that will work well together. You have plenty of troops to sacrifice to Coteaz and the Steel Legion Chimeras will help to protect your 1HP and 2HP troops and Warlord already and the idea of combining Bodyguard and Blood Angels Veterans is not bad either. If you are running Penal Legionaires, I'd try to find space to include x2 Promotions as then you could have 2 hammers on a planet for 0 cost. On their lonesome the Penals aren't so hot but for 0 they are good at stalling to see if your enemy has any powerful cards coming up.

Give your deck a shot, let us know how it went!

As a broader question, with only the core and 5 packs out, is it too soon to start making 'theme' (or at least more subfaction-specific) decks? I haven't been looking at all of the cards, but is there a faction that does have enough cards to make a subfaction specific deck?

As a broader question, with only the core and 5 packs out, is it too soon to start making 'theme' (or at least more subfaction-specific) decks? I haven't been looking at all of the cards, but is there a faction that does have enough cards to make a subfaction specific deck?

Most of them really. If you try to go for a specific Space Marine Chapter you will quickly run out of units, with Ultramarines at the lead with 8 Army units. For another example, the Inquisition currently has 3 marked cards and one of them is the recent Warlord Coteaz.

I think we will need at least a cycle's worth of material before we are even close to having fluff or theme decks. The only themes at the moment would be something like "infantry-only IG" but even that is kinda limited right now.