My first game

By kinnison, in Battlestar Galactica

Played this game for the first time. I am an experienced gamer, but I was learning the game on the fly, often with two people explaining at once and even explaining the exceptions to a rule. Which is not my preferred method. What further hurt my experience was I never could watch the series because of the shaky camera work which would make me nauseous.

I choose Adama, and my wife (not an experienced gamer) was the president (forgot her name). I was a cylon to start (reveal to send someone to the brig). shortly into the game my wife as president looked at the loyalty card of another player and told everyone he was a cylon. So now i knew I had an ally. I realized quickly my goal was to quickly get us to distance 4, and bring in the sympathizer to join the cylons.

In two jumps we were at distance 4, and i became the sympathizer, passing my cylon card to our only pilot (boomer) who was put into the brig and spaced (PEgasus expansion). The Engineer (forgot the name) was the other cylon, and pretty much made it clear he was one, but the other players didn't have the ability to space him based on skill cards. he was in the brig giving the other cylon players (Myself as Adama, and Boomer) executive orders and we loaded up on Special Crisis cards.

The first resource to go read was morality, and the cylons started going after that hard. Then I played "Lured into a trap" as a crisis card, and the players failed it. It was followed on my next turn by "Fleet mobilization" and the Pegasus got destroyed and the Battlestar started taking damage. it was just a matter of when the game would end. at that point. There was too much bad stuff happening too quickly for the humans to overcome. Resources started draining fast.

At the final turn, Boomer was active and there was only 1 fuel and 1 morale left. and all the humans were low on cards and the Battlestar jumped killing a person in the FTL room and draining all the fuel.

Definitely would encourage new players to play pilot. But i found as a Cylon there really wasn't much I could do besides play crisis cards. the game got quite boring after that. In fact, to be honest i don't think I really did too much in the game. The first several crisis we didn't even try to pass. and before we jumped to distance 4 I tried to fail a crisis and because I didn't know the game well enough I forgot Adama was the only one getting purple cards and pretty much revealed myself.

Just reading real quick but... (revealed) cylons can't be XO'd.... which it sounds like you are saying happened? Normally you get 1 maybe 2 and by that time its to late to start playing them!

I like to know where it says revealed Cylons cannot be XOed. because on the card it says "players"

It is mentioned (admittedly not clearly) in the rules especially on page 20 (phrased serveral ways), such as "Revealed Cylon players may not use actions or abilities listed
on Skill Cards."

It is clarified specifically in the FAQ (available on the FFG web site and included with later print versions of the game): Q: Can a revealed Cylon player be targeted by the “Executive Order” Skill Card or Quorum Cards?
A: No.

Note: In the expansion, a cylon leader who is infilitating has different rules.